Thursday, March 08, 2007

The loveliest day


I spent this morning cleaning my office and washing a dog.....Churchill. He is the one in the middle.

A wonderful couple at our church is having medical problems, so I am going to spend the afternoon making two dishes for them to freeze. I have some great recipes to use.

Baked Confetti Ziti

Serves 6

1 pound ziti pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil

1 small onion -- chopped
1 large tomato -- chopped

3 tablespoons flour
4 cups lowfat milk
salt and pepper -- to taste
2 cups lowfat mozzarella cheese -- shredded
10 ounces frozen peas -- petite peas are best
1/2 pound turkey ham – diced (or reg. Ham if turkey ham unavailable)

Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and throw in a large mixing bowl. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 and grease a 3 quart baking dish.
In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and add the onion, cooking for about two minutes. Now add the tomato and cook another two minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the top of the veggies and stir for a minute. Add the milk slowly and whisk away to keep things from lumping up. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add HALF of the cheese and stir till melted and smooth.

To the pasta in the bowl, add the sauce you just made, the peas, turkey ham and toss till well blended. Put the whole shebang into your greased casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese. Bake in your preheated oven till nice and bubbly and the top almost brown, about 20 minutes.

Per Serving: 536 Calories; 14g Fat (24.4% calories from fat); 30g Protein; 70g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 42mg Cholesterol; 636mg Sodium.

And I have a wonderful Asian Salad with pork I am taking them. I also feel like baking a little today. Also, I think I will whip up a banana bread. We are having company next week and I need to make some extra items for their visit.

Tonight, I am making some gift baskets for my daughter's graduation in May, I will post those pictures in the morning.

It is the loveliest day. I am off to the grocery store. I will also look for a beautiful Easter tree for our foyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia