Saturday, November 01, 2008

Baking: Halloween Cookies

Every Halloween, we deliver Halloween treats to the older members of our church. I make decorated sugar cookies and treat bags for the "reverse trick or treating."



Here are the cookies:


Pumpkins:



Little Spiders:



Big Spiders
Spider webs:

Cats and witches:

Witch hats and more pumpkins
I

The bags are decorated and ready to go.


I make extra cookies in case we run into little trick or treaters.


Boys dressed:

Oh yeah and me:

Here is the Sugar Cookie recipe I use, I double it for any holiday.


1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup shortening or butter*
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Early in the day or the day before:
In a large bowl cream the shortening and the sugar. Add the eggs, extract, and milk. In a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients with a wire whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl. Mix with mixer until well combined. With hands, shape dough into a ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Roll** half or 1/3 dough at a time, keep the rest refrigerated. For crisp cookies, roll dough, paper thin. For softer cookies, roll 1/8 " to 1/4" thick.


I think everyone enjoyed the day



9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I love those cookies, you are amazing... I wish I was there to help you with those cookies... have any left overs that you would love to send my way ;)

    I wish I was there. Your shoes look cute, to bad you are to scared to post a pic of you!!!!!!!!

    Love you mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat idea. When I try to decorate cookies they always look like blobs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how cute! The cookies, bags and RED shoes!!! Listen, You must go to that tinsel and treasure show!!! I think this is the best one I have ever been to!!!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have an icing recipe for those cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next year I am stopping by your place to do some trick or treating. Those cookies look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cookies look yummy!!! I'll bet you brought a lot of smiles giving those cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe I missed something...but do you have a recipe for your frosting you would share? Just love your babies, they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm thinking these cookies cook for 9 to 11 minutes??? Maybe less. And I also would LOVE the icing recipe. These cookies are adorable and I just love how you dress up and deliver them to the people at your church. They must love that. What a wonderful thing to do!! I also like that white pumpkin you made a few posts back. You are very creative!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia