When things get a little tight financially, I think of gifts that I can make for my friends and family. This fall, I looked to my bountiful garden and had a great gift idea.
I decided to make “specialty” vinegars and oils for my gift baskets.
Rosemary and garlic vinegar and hot pepper oil would be a great addition to any kitchen.
- Start with clean clear bottles.
- Use washed Rosemary that is freshly picked.
- Clean garlic cloves, think of two or three per bottle.
- Warm vinegar to about 120 degrees
- Add herb and several cloves of garlic to each bottle.
- Pour vinegar into bottles and allow to cool.
- Heat the oil to about 120 degrees as well.
- Add red pepper flakes to the oil and allow to steep for seven to ten minutes.
- Red peppers from the garden are washed.
- Insert into the bottles.
- Pour warmed oil in the bottles and allow to cool.
- A nice day's work, corks and labels ready to go when the oil and vinegar are cooled.
- Next very slowly melt wax over the stove. I use leftover Christmas candles to have a red wax.
- Cork the bottles and dip the top of the bottle in the wax.
- Put a pretty label on the bottle.
- Store until Christmas.
Total cost of gifts, $23 for 34 bottles.
You will have the satisfaction of giving your friends and family a gift from your garden and saving money at the same time.