Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Cooking: Red Beans and Rice

We love red beans and rice at our home. I have searched for years for the best red bean and rice recipe and have settled on one that fits the bill. It takes a long time but it is so worth it. I make a huge batch when I make it. It freezes very well.

Soak kidney beans over night, I use one bag of dried beans.


Drain the kidney beans and pick through the beans to make sure they are good. Sometimes you run across a bean that doesn't look right.

Saute one onion and three cloves of garlic in a couple of tablespoons of butter.


Add 6 quarts of water to the onions and garlic.
Add a package of ham hocks.


Add a red hot pepper flakes to taste.



Cook for 3 to 5 hours on very low temperature. I usually cook it all day.

Remove ham hocks and add 1 pound Hillshire farm or other brand sausage to the red beans and rice. At this point, I taste it and if I need to add salt, pepper or hot sauce this is a good time to do it. Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Just enough time to start rice.


This dish is a great side dish or main course.


Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. This would go over well at my house too. I haven't actually bought ham hocks in a long time. :) Seems like I always have a chunk of ham in the freezer that's left over. Yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can you do with the ham hocks after you remove them? Can they be used in another recipe? - hb :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love red beans and rice - yours looks super yummy! Thanks for poping in at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy, thanks for the sweet comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia