Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Baking: Peppermint Bark

I love Williams Sonoma Peppermint Bark but at $26.50 a tin, I can only afford to hoard it for myself. This Christmas, like Christmases in the past, I am making a bunch of homemade goodies for friends, family and generally anyone I run into during the holidays. So I decided to attempt to make Peppermint Bark for myself.

The ingredients:


My son smashed up the candy canes for me. We used a rolling pin. However, a food processor would get the pieces much smaller and create more dust. The dust would stick better.



I lined three cookie sheets with foil.


Next I slowly melted the semisweet chocolate over boiling water. I used three bags per baking sheet but it was a little thick and next time I would only use 2 12 oz. bags.

Once you remove it from the heat, add 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract per 12 oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate. Mix thoroughly and quickly.

Carefully spread the melted chocolate in the baking sheets and allowed them to set up until hard.


Next, melt white chocolate chips in a double boiler. Again I would only use 2 12 oz. bags of white chocolate chips, per cookie sheet.

Immediately top with the crushed candy canes and slightly press them into the chocolate bark.

Let the chocolate set up until it is hard. I would freeze the chocolate. It would make it easier to break next time. Another lesson from hindsight. But the candy is really wonderful.


Bag up the candy. I ordered personalized ribbon to finish the bags off before the holidays.



Total Cost for 3 cookie sheets of peppermint bark, $27. I made 45 bags of candy, $.60 for each bag of candy.

12 comments:

  1. You're amazing! I wish I'd run in to you cause that PB looks simply delish!

    Thank you for your kind comment yesterday -- I figured I HAD to put up Christmas. I talk a big talk about being all Grinch-like, but in the end, I cave and must put up the decorations. It just isn't the same without them.

    And I thought just the other day that my house looks so pretty and it's a shame that no one wants to come see it. And last night I got a call that an agent wants to show my house on Saturday. Woo-hoo!

    Not that I'm getting too excited, but you never know -- it only takes one. And it's probably a relocation, since they called on a Tuesday to see the house on Saturday, so they're probably looking to find something quick, so you don't have that wondering feeling for long.

    Who knows what will come of it, but at least it gets me cleaning again! :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!! Thanks for sharing...I think I can, I think I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMY! My favorite! And I LOOOOVe the ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great, can't wait to see it finished now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, my goodness! That looks SO yummy! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this last year for my co-workers and they loved it. You are correct, freezing the whole cookie sheet makes it easier to break up the bark into pieces. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wooo that pepermint bark looks delisious,you were right to make your own lots cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, this recipe sounds delicious! That's it, I will have to make some of this with my daughter one day very soon. Thanks for sharing! I just wanted to stop by and thank you for visiting my blog, and for taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate that a lot! Wishing you a truly wonderful Christmas season!
    Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know where to begin....you are so amazing. I love the dogs, the kids, and all the awesome things you do! Your costumes (Yours & the Boys) were superb! Thanks for entertaing me this morning and looking forward to more exciting posts!
    XOXO!
    Lamp Tramp

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks absolutely YUMMY!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing the peppermnt bark I am going to give a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went home after you posted this and made this following your recipe and tips to a T! It came out perfect!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia