Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Housekeeping: Cleaning Copper Cookie Cutters

I have a large collection of Copper Cookie cutters. 67 to be exact. Every year after Christmas, my daughter and I take everyone of them down to clean them. We have been cleaning them about 10 years. It was a laborious job but we put some movies in the DVD and would work for several days. About three years ago, I decided to read the instructions on the copper polish. OH OH, we had been doing it wrong for a long time. I had used the copper polish like silver polish. But the instructions said to wet the copper before we polished them.

So we came up with a new procedure and what use to take days now takes hours. Sorry, daughter.

1. The cookie cutters don't look so bad unless you polish one. You will find how tarnished the rest are when you polish your first one.

See not so bad.

2. Soak the cookie cutters in the hottest soapy water you can find. Let them soak for 10 minutes.


3. Wet the sponge that comes in the copper cleaner and rub the tarnish off. I use a skewer with the sponge to get the corners of the cookie cutter.


4. Soak the polished cookie cutter with the polish on in the water. This step helps making removal of the copper cleaner from all the corners. Wash and dry very thoroughly.

5. Hang back up and wait for your next holiday to use them. Can you see the difference.



I want to show you some of my favorite, actually, they are all my favorite but here are a few up close.

Engagement ring

Snowman
Spider

I think next year, we are going to find some boxes for them and store them in air tight containers. Less clutter and less work polishing. We are still thinking about it so I will let you know.

9 comments:

  1. Neat way to display them. I love the look of copper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word - 67 cookie cutters. That's incredible. Who knew you could even find that many?....

    I like the way you have them displayed. Don't even tell me your have a red kitchen - with red toile?....Before my little kitchen "accident" I had a red kitchen with red toile accents.

    Oh, and I love the Eiffel Tower cookie cutter. Have you ever made cookies with it?

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love copper,but just stopped collecting because of the cleaning. I do love your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so great! Love the Eiffel cutter, too...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that cookie cutter collection--no wonder you polish them:-) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You forgot to mention that we discovered that its best to put down a towel instead of newspaper... and to clean the copper cookies cutters at the end using dish washing soap. :)

    Love you mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for that tip! Im such a sucker for copper. I just love it!!! You have a great collection~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some copper cookie cutters but nothing like yours,thanks for thetips on how to polish them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of copper. We have a few copper pots and my echo friendly husband polishes them with catsup. No joke.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia