Monday, January 19, 2009

Decorating: Dining Room Wallpaper

When we bought our house 11 years ago, every room needed to be decorated. It was seriously in the 80's but in very good shape. I painted, scraped and wallpapered every room in this house. My son and I pulled carpet and we had the floor refinished.

I love this house. I plan on showing you most of my work, which brings us to my dining room. I wanted to have wallpaper that matched my great Aunt's china to an extent.


Sorry it is hard to see.



A better picture:


Well, I saw this border in a magazine. I went to the wallpaper store and ordered it. This was not the border that arrived. What arrived was this border in a 27 inch sheet with yellow around the flowers. I went back to the wallpaper store and said, "How can this be?" It doesn't look like this in the picture?

They said......it must have been cut out with an exacto knife. AN EXACTO KNIFE!!!!

So I went home and contemplated my options. I did not want to have this border on top of the beautiful wallpaper and chair rail. So I trimmed this border with my an exacto knife. It took me 50 hours.

So here she is in all her glory:

Another View:
Up closer:


With the curtains I made:

I love the fringe on these curtains.


I had all the chairs recovered and I made a table scarf to match.


50 hours with an exacto knife. Not to make you feel more sorry for me, but I also completed this project while in graduate school. My husband said I was crazy but I knew what I wanted and well, maybe I am a little crazy. I will let you guys be the judge.

P.S. I have been informed that my friend who helped me prime and paint the walls needs acknowledgement.....She and I almost passed out priming those walls. Thanks eternally KRIS

12 comments:

  1. That is one of the prettiest rooms I've seen! The wallpaper and border along with the drapes is just perfect. I love your furniture too. Noticed that you have no rug...did you see me talking about that last week? I love some rooms with no rug. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE NOT CRAZY! It looks beautiful.

    And I think we are kindred decorating sisters, because well, I used that same fabric in my guest room at our old house. I made a duvet cover out of it - with a coordinating floral and also made a cornice out of it. I also used the cute fabric with the fireflies on it to pull it all together. It was one of my favorite re-do rooms.

    And yes, I hear you - I can't let it go once I get an idea in my mind. That's just how I roll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for coming by to see me & for your nice comments. What a pretty room & wow, that's a lot of time to cut out that border. I remember seeing that done awhile ago, cutting out part of the border. Your room is pretty & I see you are a bunny lover too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by and your kind words;) i love that fringe too;) French

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! The hours it took. You go girl! It all came together beautifully.

    Thanks for stopping by to visit mine and Victoria's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think its beautiful. You did a great job. I've been struggling for awhile now about getting a new dining room set. I'm pretty sure that i am...but what I really seem to be attracted to are chairs with padding on them. at least you can recover them down the road to change things. i have had wooden ones for almost 25 years now. the set hubby and i both agreed we liked was again--wooden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there! Fab job on that dining room...I love the drapes. I have that same bunny picture. cherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. 50 hours!!! Your blog title says it all. The room is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just gorgeous! You did a fabulous job! I'd say it was well worth the time and effort...especially if you love it! Every detail is perfect!
    Have a beautiful day!
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dining room is as pretty as a picture from a magazine. I seriously thought it was from a magazine at first...until I read your post. The wall paper, border, furniture, beautiful china, chair covers, pictures--all work together so well. It's simply stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cynitha, that is gorgeous! That boarder you cut is amazing!
    I use to have that same fabric on a sofa, that you made your runner and chair covers out of. I loooooved that sofa! My mom took it and used it for about 3 yrs after I was finished with it. Blessings, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. You forgot to tell everyone how your dear friend helped you by putting killz on the walls. Dedicated as she was, she painted herself into a corner and nearly passed out from the fumes. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia