Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cooking: Menu planning

I don't know if many of you know this but my husband works about two hours away from home. He leaves every Monday and comes home on Friday evenings. When he has worked out of town in the past, he was too far from home for me to cook for but this time he is only 2 hours away. He is known to live on canned soup and fast food when he is away from home. Not the greatest diet.

So I have been making his meals on the weekend and sending him away on Monday morning with a cooler of meals. Since he is home on Fridays, I usually have four meals to worry about. So this week, I sent him with;

Sausage, Peppers and Rice
Lunchmeat
Cut up veggies

Lasagna Rolls

Source Photo

Chili
Source Photo


I have always tried to cook on Saturday and Sunday for the week when I was in school or worked. It is a great way to make sure you have meals on hand. I love it because the kitchen is clean all week, I can relax and know that the family is fed.

11 comments:

  1. those look lovely and i'm sure he's happy to have them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like some SUPER yummy meals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so sweet to do that. My hubby is often gone the whole week. He has to eat out with clients though. He eats fish alot during the week because I hate it! Works out well for us. He sure is happy to have a home cooked meal when he gets back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, My name is Meme from Screaming Meme...I want to personally invite you to a new blog I created to share with creative and inspiring women... Project:{Create A Home}...The concept of this idea is to bring women together to create more inspiration and a path to our own dreams...Come check it out! We are open to new ideas and inspiration...This is our blog! :) And Screaming Meme is still up and going! I have a lot of wonderful new plans for 2009! I look forward to getting to know you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cynthia,

    I think you might be on to something.

    Sounds like our husbands might be "eating" parallel lives. :) I thought you mentioned he worked out of town.

    What a good wife you are! And I agree, planning meals and cooking on the weekend is great - especially during the busy week when we're all tired and can't think of anything nutritious to make.

    When all of us kids were at home (that was seven) my Mom did the once-a-month cooking. It worked great for our family - and Mom was a lot less frazzled when it came time for meal time.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you do that. I do the same thing--cook big meals on the weekends and make small quick ones on the weekdays or put stuff in the freezer for us to heat up. That's so nice of you to make sure he's fed and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hubby is also gone most of the week, sometimes longer and I've been known to freeze extra meals for him as well! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is gone all week also,but he drives a truck so cooking meals for him does not work,but I do cook big meals on the weekend when he is home.

    My daughters husband works off often and she does cook meals and put in a cooler for him.it cost less for expences that way and he eats a healthier meal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dog gone it, you are good! There aint no way I could cook on Sat or Sun for the whole week! Your hubby is one lucky fellow...tell him...I said so! Blessings, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. good for you - getting on a better cooking schedule is one of my 2009 goals!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia