Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sewing: A Confession: I love vintage fur

Okay, I admit it. I love, love mink. My grandmother had a mink stole and hat. She always looked so elegant and beautiful in her diamonds, gloves and mink. This is her stole on my unnamed mannequin. She was cold.


I also have the most beautiful fur muffs, one has a little zippered pocket inside so ladies you can put your keys, money and lipstick in it and no need to carry a purse.

Don't you wish we still wore this to church? These ladies look so chic.


Okay maybe it is only me.

I know there is a lot of old mink stoles out there waiting for someone to love them. And they are very cheap. So what to do with them?

What else do you think we could make out of these beauties?


A Teddy Bear?


A scarf?


A dog bed, too bad my dogs are each 80 pounds. So no I don't think so.

A pillow?
A ring.... kind of creepy

A bracelet? even more creepy....

Mittens?

How about a handbag? This is very cute.

Or even this one.

I guess I will need to think hard on this idea.

7 comments:

  1. I love fur too. I was looking at buying a fur coat this winter, but I don't know when or where I'd wear it! But hey, it's always good to be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wrinkly scarf wrap thingy....would you really wear that in TN though?....

    And honey, I grew up on the Northside of Chicago in a very affluent area - and all the women had full-length black mink coats. Sunday in church I could count a hundred. It was crazy insane. Think of all those minks that are now hanging in closets that could become beautiful purses or pillows.

    My Dad VERY PROUDLY gave my Mom a full-length wool coat with a real fur collar - that was big stuff for them. And it was a beautiful coat and my dad was so pleased with himself.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree, the rings are a little creepy. I would keep looking down at my fingers and think there's a bug on me. Not a good thing! I love to watch "I Love Lucy" and see her getting ready to go out and putting her mink on. She always looked so put together when she left the house. Loved the post, thanks for sharing your love of minks with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh, I love all these ideas - how fun! I love the purse and teddy!

    Have a good weekend - Kellan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I miss those days when ladies wore dresses, gloves and hats to church and men always wore a suit and tie. I know, I'm weird, or maybe it's just my childhood memories that I am very fond of.

    And I say, why make anything out of those mink stoles. . . heck, just wear them as they are and call them "vintage!" You could start a new fad, wear them with jeans. Couldn't look anymore crazy than some things my girls put together and call "the style!"

    Blessings,

    Sher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sher's idea is perfect...jeans and a mink stole..yum...add some pearls...yes! I miss seeing the couples dressed up for church. Still cannot bring myself to wear jeans on a Sunday morning to church...still feels disrespectful..

    Mittens are nice...and some lovely slippers for winter? YES!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia