Monday, February 16, 2009

Baking: Apple Pear Chimichangas

Last Sunday, some friends and our family went to a great restaurant in Knoxville called Club LeConte.This is a fabulous restaurant that has spectacular views.

Take a look:


Downtown Knoxville


The World's Fair Sphere


The Football Stadium


Tennessee River

Some boaters:


The Smokey Mountains


Town Hall


Okay, this is the restaurant itself:


While all the scenery is really pretty, if the food isn't any good, no point to go to this restaurant. My friend's daughter and I talked to the pastry chef and he recommended the blackberry cobbler. He also wanted us to try the Apple Pear Chimichanga. It was his first time making them and he desperately wanted my opinion. Okay, maybe not desperately but we told him they were very good. I found this recipe on Food Network which sounds like the recipe that the chef told us.


I told you they were good.

Amanda liked it too.



Apple Pear Chimichanga

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 large apple cored, with skin and cut in thin slices
  • 1 large pear, not very ripe, cored with skin and cut in thin slices
  • 1/4 cup tequila
  • 4 flour tortillas
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • Vanilla ice cream

Directions

Heat a heavy medium skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Add sugar and cinnamon and continue cooking until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add apples and pears and cook until slightly softened, another 6 minutes. Add tequila and continue cooking until browned, another 5 to 7 minutes.

Place 1 tortilla on a plate, and spoon about 1/6th of the apple/pear mixture into the center. Roll them and tuck the ends, egg-roll style, and secure them with toothpicks.

In another skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles and pops in the oil, about 350 degrees F, and fry each chimichanga until browned and crispy, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Remove the toothpicks and cut in half.

Serve hot, topping with a scoop of the vanilla ice cream.

P.S. Thanks to Jack for taking the exterior pictures


7 comments:

  1. It all sounds great to me. Love the scenery too. :) Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics. I went to Club LeConte all the time for work events (sigh). I never took pictures as I was there so frequently that I never thought I wouldn't be back. Thanks for sharing! I have had that dessert and it is delicious! Love your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures, food looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pictures! What a great view from a restaurant! And the dessert sounds too yummy and looked too good!!! Thanks for sharing everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Spectacular views and yummy dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, those pictures look a little familiar to me... ;) I think I have been there before...lol Blessings, Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia