Monday, February 02, 2009

Gardening: A back yard metamorphesis


Susan at Between Naps on the Porch is hoping a Metamorphasis Monday and I thought I would join because

1. I am working on a big research project and have nothing creative going on here.
2. I hurt my knee last week and have an ice pack on my raised leg.

When we moved into this house, I adored the bones of every last thing in this house. However we knew the back yard needed some work, to say the least.

Here is how it looked in 2004.



My little greenhouse:


In 2007, I decided to make the changes to the yard. First, I had a landscape designer come by to give me some ideas. However, nothing he came up with was as good as what I had thought about the 9 years I had laid in the pool thinking about this yard.

So, I found some workmen that were able to execute my ideas.

It was a painful process..... imagine three Old English sheepdogs with no fence for 6 months. My poor neighbors.








These pictures make me nauseous. I hated every minute of construction but it was worth it.


I knew that I wanted to open up the back yard, resurface the pool, raise the flower beds and add a big entertainment space by the pool.

This project turned out to be the back yard of my dreams. It is exactly what we wanted. Here are pictures from our Fourth of July party. The cart is not normally there.







I love it, it is pretty! And I did the landscape design myself.

18 comments:

  1. OMG, this looks so awesome! I would never want to leave. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks so different from the last time I was there. How long ago was that? '99? Holy cow! Ten years! Oh my. Looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I have so much to do in my yard..way to go and get things done..nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks beautiful! You make me want spring - and honey, you are a SAINT - living through that kind of construction with DOGS....and MUD!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHH I know the process is difficult but the outcome is wonderful!! French;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a big job but so worth it.
    Enjoy!
    Linda Q

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I bet that construction was a headache but well worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that was a lot of work and the result is great! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should be proud..you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the yard! WOW! I want to come and sit by your pool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice and refreshing!..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lot of work! My post was about a yard transformation also!
    Good work on the designin. Now it is to your own taste.

    Kathy b

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now that is a great re-do! I loooove it! Oh, and I can't wait until spring...especially after today...lol...and maybe more on Tuesday...Hope y'all are warm and safe! Blessings, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a really nice job designing this, you have a lovely yard! And 3 Old English? Wow, you are a busy lady. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please come save my poor little backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK that's the best one so far. I can't imagine 3 Sheep Dogs with no back yard for so long. You poor thing.
    I would love to hang out at your pool. I love English Sheep dogs. Always wanted one but I have done extensive research on them and it would not be the right dog for us. Not yet anyway.
    Thanks for the great MET
    claudie.frid.com
    I do not use my google acc

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh what a nice space to enjoy, beautiful transformation...makes me want spring, like now..lol
    janet

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia