Sunday, February 22, 2009

Why I won't be watching the Oscars

1. I have not seen one of the five movies nominated.
2. My favorite actors and actresses are long gone.
3. Most of the old stars I love, served their country in WWII or helped with the old Hollywood canteen; a place where service men and women could go and the stars would entertain, dance and serve them.
4. I don't like the way movie stars of today behave, in their defense, some of the old stars had messy lives but thankfully we were unaware.
5. And most importantly, the movies that used to win Oscars were classics. I recently watched "No Country for Old Men". This movie won the Oscar last year for best film of the year. It was a depressing, disguisting blood bath that glorified a homicidal murderer and drug trade. I would never watch that terrible depressing movie again. I also watched Gone with the Wind yesterday and would watch that 100 more times. Hollywood does not make movies for me or my family. I cannot honor them as they do not honor me.


A trip down memory lane:

Jimmy Stewart
John Wayne

Errol Flynn
Clark Gable
Charlton Heston

Gary Cooper


Spenser Tracey


Cary Grant


Bing Crosby
Audrey Hepburn

Grace Kelly

Henry Fonda
Humphrey Bogart
Oh Carole Lumbard
Katherine Hepburn

Elizabeth Taylor

And the sweet Judy Garland

Thank you for all the fine movies that my family enjoys over and over again. I will be putting in a classic and honor the old days of Hollywood.

8 comments:

  1. So Jimmy Stewart is probably my favorite actor of all time! I adore, adore, adore, him and Grace Kelly in Rear Window. I also love Judy and Elizabeth Taylor(old, not now...she kinda scares me now!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love old movies.....I LOVE Cary Grant, and Audrey Hepburn, and I love old Doris Day and Rock Hudson movies!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  3. We turned on a few minutes and it was alot of half nude folks so we didn't watch either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never watch the academy awards, I have to agree with you about the movies nominated, what happened to good movies? What happened to stars keeping their private lives private. Was Paul Newman on your list or his wife on your list? They new how to make great movies, and live their lives quietly.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that Charlton Heston..gets me everytime I see him! I agree..showbiz is not the same as it use to be. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you! We have always enjoyed watching old movies. Most of what we own was made long before we were even born!
    You listed all of my favorites. Sometimes we feel strange when others are talking about new movies--we have no idea what they are talking about!
    Thanks for letting me know we aren't alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you. I did watch for a bit to see the opening act. It was quite nice, but then the show just gets so boring and a little political. I didn't see any of the movies either!!! I love Jimmy Stewart and my husband adored Charlton Heston! Thanks for the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMEN, my heart still flutters when I see Cary Grant!!

    Even our 21 year old doesn't like to watch the Oscars. She doesn't like the new movies either. She also shares her momma's love for Cary Grant and the movies of old!

    Blessings,

    Sher

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia