Friday, March 20, 2009

Cooking: Cheese Grits


photo courtesy of batter-splattered.typepad.com

I have a confession to make. I am a darn yankee but I adore grits, especially cheese grits. Absolutely hate oatmeal but adore grits. They can be used for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

So here is my secret fabulous Cheese Grits recipe.

2 t. kosher salt
1 c. fine quick-cooking grits, not instant
1 1/4 c cream
2 T unsalted butter
1 lb of Velveeta cheese, cubed
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper

Bring four cups of water to boil in a heavy 4 quart saucepan. Add the salt, then slowly add the grits, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Reduce to low and simmer, stirring occasionally until grits thicken, about 5 to 7 minutes.

Add cream and butter to the grits and stir. The grits will become creamy. Add the cheese and black pepper, cover and allow the cheese to melt, stir occasionally.

Once the cheese has melted, pour the mixture into either one large, greased baking dish or two smaller ones. I use two because I freeze one and save for later. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, the top will be golden brown.


If you have never tried grits, try this recipe. I promise you it will become a favorite.

Reminder For Lent:
I am turning off the blog comments on this blog until Easter. I love my blog friends and will put my email in my profile to hear from you. I will follow all of your blogs. My purpose is to focus on him not myself.