Friday, March 13, 2009

Sewing: Wee Care Group

Three weeks ago, I had the honor of working with a small group of women who do God's work . The Wee Care program sews and smocks simple bishop-designed gowns and donate them to local hospitals to clothe babies who die at birth or shortly after. Many groups also donate smocked bonnets for premature infants.

Here are some samples of the gowns or patterns:



These gowns are so beautiful and put together with such love. I thought this would be a depressing experience but they are really a wonderful group of ladies and I was honored to be in their presence.

I am just learning to smock but these ladies need help with cutting fabric, putting the gowns together and with smocking. If you can help them, please help. If not, try to donate to such a lovely and worthy cause.

I have added a little history of the program for everyone.

The idea for the Wee Care gowns came in 1986, from Rose Trellis Smocking Guild in Portland, Oregon. Members Chris Owings and Nancy Newell were looking for a distinctive public service projects for guild members that could be made quickly, would require inexpensive materials and would teach beginners new techniques, yet be worth the time of more experienced members. Owings, a registered nurse and childbirth educator, and Newell, a pattern designer, seemed chosen to discover the need for these gowns and determine a way to fill that need. The Wee Care project members sew and smock simple bishop-designed gowns and donate them to local hospitals to clothe babies who die at birth or shortly after. It did not take long for the Wee Care service program to be adopted by SAGA chapters across the United States, Canada, and Australia. It has even expanded further with chapters providing gowns to be used in hospital neo-natal units for preemie babies that survive and must have an extended hospital stay. Often, hospitals request these gowns in prints and brighter colors and use them on a daily basis.

Reminder For Lent:
I am turning off the blog comments on this blog until Easter. I love my blog friends and will put my email in my profile to hear from you. I will follow all of your blogs. My purpose is to focus on him not myself.