Monday, April 20, 2009

Baking: Apple Crisp


You all need to visit Jen's blog. It is so awesome as she is. For today's Tasty Tuesday, I love apple crisp and wanted to make some for the family last week.

Start with 10 McIntosh apples. I added 2 T lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.


Add one cup of sugar, 4 t. ground cinnamon and 2 t. ground nutmeg.



Stir the apples and put in greased baking dish.


Cover with the topping: 3 c. flour, 1 1/2 cup of light brown sugar lightly packed, and 1 1/2 c. of granulated sugar, 1 t. kosher salt, 1 pound of cold unsalted butter, diced. and 2 c. oatmeal. The oatmeal gives the apple crisp a real country flavor and provides a wonderful crunch to the apple crisp.



It sounds like a lot of ingredients but it makes a large dish. You can adapt this recipe to half or quarter of the amount, easily. Look how pretty.


But I think it needs something?




Oh yes, much better!!!


Apple Crisp
  • 10 McIntosh or Macoun apples
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 T. lemon juice
  • 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the Topping:
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 cup oatmeal
  • 1 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter baking dish. Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples, lemon juice, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.

To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Scatter evenly over the apples.

Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.


9 comments:

  1. Ooooo YUM! Thanks for sharing. Wish I could reach through the screen. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful. It's fattening in blog land today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! I haven't made that in years!! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now, this certainly looks like something my family would like to try.

    Thank you!

    Blessings,

    Sher

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always looking for new apple crisp recipes, and I know you...this one will be good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing better than apple crisp with ice cream. I'm so craving it right now! It's one of my favorite desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this for my book club last night. I needed something fast and easy - this fit the bill (especially since I had all the ingredients on hand), even some organic apples that needed to get used. I got several requests for the recipe. Definitely a keepe

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia