Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Baking: Easter Sugar Cookies

I promise this is my last Easter post. For my special Easter Baskets, I included some of my favorite things. I love making sugar cookies, especially in Easter colors.


Here are the beautiful sugar cookies:


Up close a little bunny.



Next we mixed up some Wilton Royal icing, in pretty pastel colors. I use ziploc bags with no tips because I hate the clean up and I can do a pretty good job with them.


Next, we outline the cookies with a stiffer Royal icing.


And then I flood. Now my flooding icing is not as thin as it should have been but remember it doesn't have to be perfect to be pretty.


All the bunnies iced.


Next some eggs iced.

Another cute egg.

The last addition to the basket.

Okay, now time for clean up.


Sugar Cookie Recipe:

1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup shortening or butter*
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Early in the day or the day before:
In a large bowl cream the shortening and the sugar. Add the eggs, extract, and milk. In a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients with a wire whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl. Mix with mixer until well combined. With hands, shape dough into a ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Roll** half or 1/3 dough at a time, keep the rest refrigerated. For crisp cookies, roll dough, paper thin. For softer cookies, roll 1/8 " to 1/4" thick.



6 comments:

  1. You are amazing! That pink and white egg is too cute! I'm sure they were all delish! And ziploc bags -- what a great idea! I hate that kind of clean-up too. :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Sugar cookies are my favorite! I actually prefer them without icing, though. They are prettier with icing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful cookies!! And so funny that the one lady you gave the basket to is returning it so you can fill it up again! Very cute! Love the decorations you did, you made it look very simple!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'd definitely like to try easter cookies next year. We were doing well to get our eggs dyed : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cynthia, You are something else! Those cookies look amazing! Do you have any left over...I'm coming by to get one... ;) Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia