Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Cooking: Fabulous Chicken Salad



I have been making this chicken salad for over 20 years. It is fabulous but I found a trick that makes it even more delicious.

First, I use split chicken breasts, bone in and with skin on. These chicken breasts will give you the most flavor. I season with salt, pepper and olive oil.

2. Roast the chicken breasts for 45 minutes at 400 degrees. I use to poach boneless chicken breast, good but a little flavorless. Roasting the chicken gives it the most wonderful flavor. I had a great picture of brown chicken breasts but somehow I cannot find it. Oh well, let's continue.

3. De-bone and remove the skin of the chicken. Side note: I roast chicken almost twice a month and use it for any number of dishes. Refrigerate it and you have any number of quick dinners.


4. So once, the chicken is cool, cut into chunks.


5. Next, dice celery.

6. And apples. I used half an apple with one chicken breast.

7. Add mayo. Mix gently.




8. Enjoy.




I have added many different items to this basic recipe; pecans, walnuts, grapes or mandarin oranges. I have always gotten complements on it every time I served it for company.

9 comments:

  1. Okay, three things.

    1) I missed you.
    2) The blog looks great -- I love it!
    3) I want chicken salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so yummy. Nobody in my house will eat chicken salad except me. Any time we are having company that I think will enjoy it, I have to make some. I like to use the roasted chickens from the store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might be able to do this one! Oh joy. It will make a great on-the-go-meal for baseball/softball games that take up FOUR nights a week. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I make chicken salad all the time and have always poached the chicken!! I am now going to try roasting it first! Looks yummy!!! Thanks for the recipe and hint!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yumm...

    like Kim said:
    1. I miss you
    2. i LOVE you're new blog!!!
    3. I want the chicken salad.... I am eating Panera, I tried cooking noodles last night and somehow I messed it up lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia, That sounds so good and I am sitting at work right now, Starving to death! I love chicken salad!
    Is that little woman, sitting at the the top of you blog, new? I don't think I have ever seen her before! She is so cute! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cynthia,
    There sure has been a lot of yummy looking things to eat on your blog the last few days :)
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good chicken salad! Normally I use the good ol' can chicken, but this, I'm sure is so much better! I will be trying this pronto.

    ~Misti

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I learn to love you any deeper? Each day it seems God gives me yet another reason we will one day be irl friends too!
    You are so talented, thanks for sharing!
    hugs!
    Sweetie

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia