Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cooking: Menu Planning


Everyone seems to be jumping on the menu planning band wagon. I have planned menus for 24 years. I did plan my first year because I was a young bride and well, you know how young brides are, kind of clueless.

As you all know, my husband works out of town so I cook in one day what most people cook in a week. How do I do that?

So as a former Economics professor, here is your lesson for the week: Economies of Scale. What it means is that it is easier to cook five meals in one day than five meals in five days because I can cook one item for two meals and make it easier for myself.


So meal plan:

Sunday: Spaghetti and Meatballs, Cesar Salad and Dinner Rolls
Monday: Tomato and Goat cheese tarts
Tuesday: Meatball Sub
Wednesday: Church
Thursday: Potato Cheese Soup and Empty the fridge Salad
Friday: Pork Lo Mein and Egg Rolls
Saturday: Lemon Butterflied Chicken, Rosemary Accordion Potatoes and Snow peas
Cinnamon Rolls for Sunday morning

Grocery List needed:

Carrots
Celery
Cabbage
Green Onions
Mushrooms, four ounces
Snow peas
Tomatoes
Romaine
Fresh Rosemary
Fresh Thyme
Fresh Basil
Red onion
Ginger
Lemon
Egg Roll wrappers
Thin spaghetti
Water chestnuts
Soy Sauce
Eggs
Chicken Broth
Frozen puff pastry
Goat cheese
Sub rolls

I already have pancetta, potatoes and cheese for soup, pork for lo mein, chicken for lemon chicken, meatballs, garlic, oils and spices.


The five meals and cinnamon rolls should take about an hour and a half to finish. The tomato and goat cheese tarts may not freeze well so it is an experiment. I will have to keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog!! Glad I stumbled upon it. Have a nice Sunday~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything sounds yummy!!!
    What night should I come for dinner? LOL :)
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia