Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Marzipan Vegetables for an Easter Garden Cake


I make a beautiful Easter Garden cake every year. I saw this in a Martha Stewart magazine and loved it so much I decided to make it. My cake is a rectangle carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.


Source: Martha Stewart

Here are the tools to start: Marzipan, Food coloring and for the first time, I am using fondant tools but have used a fork and knife in the past.


Next I color the marzipan:

Let's start with carrots. I roll a small piece of marzipan in my palms, like rolling a snake, but taper off one end.


I add some leaves. Carrots, check.


Repeat the same procedure with a smaller amount of red marzipan, to create jalapeno peppers.

Here they are with their leaves.



Next radicchio: Here I mix purple marzipan with some uncolored marzipan to make it look more like the radicchio. Roll a small ball.


Fashion a leaf and wrap around the small ball.

Repeat until you have a small radicchio head.


Here is my little tomatoes. I also make some green snakes and shape like vines. My tomatoes are vine-ripened, by the way!!!


Next peas. Similar to the radicchio, lettuce and cabbage.


Let's make some corn: Using some yellow marzipan, make some yellow "football" like balls.



Using a knife, I create the kernels.


Fashion some green leaves to wrap around the corn and you have corn on the cob in April.


Alright, next watermelon. Repeat the same procedure for the red marzipan as you did for the corn. Roll out a piece of green marzipan to wrap around the red ball.


Don't worry, you are going to tuck the ugly ends under the bottom of the watermelon.



Next, very carefully cut the watermelon.

Add seeds with a black food writer.

You can even make eggplant.

See my garden is ready to dry for several days and put on my cake.


I will show you the cake when in a couple of days.

Thank you for coming to my garden!!!!!

Reminder For Lent:
I am turning off the blog comments on this blog until Easter. I love my blog friends and will put my email in my profile to hear from you. I will follow all of your blogs. My purpose is to focus on him not myself.

3 comments:

  1. You make this look so fun!! I absolutely love marzipan!! Have a wonderful Easter!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...that is FANTASTIC!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm, I would never have the patience or skill to do this, but you make it look easy! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia