Monday, April 20, 2009

Organization: Goal Setting - Week 1

I did not grow up in the best of families. So as an escape, I dreamed of one day having a "nice" family. With a clear vision of what kind of mother and wife I wanted to be, this vision was not based on the Cleavers, but sort of a Martha Stewart life, before I even knew who Martha Stewart was.

So as a young adult, I was very goal oriented. I have used a planner since I was in high school. I live by my planner. Someone recently asked me if I have a huge stack of lists. I told them, "No, I use a big planner"

Hello, my name is Cynthia and I am a planner. I feel a little better now.

I bought my planner at Levenger's. It is black leather.


I carry it where ever I go in my home and out if I need it.

I love it because it has these funny little holes.

These allow me to add magazine pictures, cards, and recipes. Levenger's did not full size page per day calender to go with it so I bought one at Office Depot and adapted it.


I have used my iPhone, a Blackberry and a number of different paper planners. But I love paper and I need a flexible planner for the number of projects I have going on.

During the next couple of weeks, I am going to show you how to use a planner effectively. It should be your lifeline. A planner can keep up with not only what is going on in your family but your vision of your life. The first step is to:

1. Set your goals.

Close your eyes and think about what you want to achieve in the future.

A goal can be big or little. A goal should not exclusively be about the work around the house. It should be dreams. My earlier vision crystallized and I dreamed of a wonderful family, beautiful home, warm, close friends, Old English sheepdogs, a garden and beautiful flowers.

Here is my current goal list:
  • Learn to fly
  • Re-organize the garage
  • Host big fourth of July Party
  • Re-do Master Bedroom
  • Learn digital scrapbooking
  • Smock a dress for my niece
  • Host a brunch for my other niece's day after wedding for 60
  • Plan a big family vacation for after Christmas
So close your eyes and think about your dreams. Make a list of things you want to achieve, large or small.

Next week, we are going to learn how to start to achieve these goals.

8 comments:

  1. You're amazing! I am so looking forward to these posts of organization!! Somehow, I knew you had a planner. :)

    What? You want to learn to fly? Not me, girl! I'll keep my feet firmly planted on the ground! But I do want to learn to make cheese. :)

    Can't wait for th next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And this is why I decided to follow you! I need someone pushing me in the right direction. I do love a planner! Right now I have a list to keep up with my lists.

    I want to learn to play the piano. Oh--and I want a healthy lifestyle to be the norm. No diets for me. Just living better with do the trick!

    Thanks for the inspiration this morning.

    Feel free to join my linky party this Thursday--we are celebrating our childhood bedrooms! It will be a great slumber party. COme on over!

    ~Misti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you! I'd be lost without my planner as well! I purchased a nice leather one this year that I love and can add a new "planner" each year. It comes everywhere with me as well! Looking forward to your series. I love to be organized and LOVE to read how other people do it! How funny, I'm planning a huge July 4th party as well this summer! It will be interesting to see your preparations!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband took a flying lesson, I gave it to him for christmas a few years ago...he really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cynthia, I have a need to control my life like that too. I grew up in a home that was pretty "fly by the seat of the pants". It was uncomfortable for me. I think that being a planner is innate.

    I don't have everything in a nifty notebook though. Lists are all around me...maybe a notebook is in order.

    Now today, I need a list for the ways that I have to recover from our trip to Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a series of lists trapped in various planners. I'm glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to help you with the item "Learn Digital Scrapbooking" check out www.digiscrap101.com - I have my entire beginning digital scrapbooking class from Weber State University online with free video tutorials, class materials and more. Just click on "Groups" and then "Freshman Class".

    Darling blog you have here! SO glad I found it you have amazing ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Cynthia,
    I am Tracey and I am a planner too!! I would be lost without it!!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia