Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Baking: Cherry Pie


For the holiday, I made a Cherry Pie for the family. Last year, at a fabulous Williams Sonoma sale, I bought these pie crust cutters for $4.99. I think they sold for $12.





Since I am making 48 quiches for a brunch in honor of my niece's wedding, I went with a store bought pie crust. Shocking, I know. Actually, they are very good. So I shaped one pie crust.



Rolled out the other pie crust and went to punching the cute cherry shapes out.

And cutting:


Everything goes into the fridge to re-chill, including the pie filling. Once everything is cold. I poured the cherry pie filling in the crust and topped with the cherries and leaves. Kind of a dressed up lattice topping for the pie.



Brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar.


Pretty and very good!!!


Cherry Pie

Ingredients

2 20 oz. cans of pitted sour cherries
1 c. white sugar
2/3 c. all purpose flour
1/4 t. salt
4 T. butter
1/2 t. almond extract

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 C). Make pastry and refrigerate.
  2. Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup liquid. In a saucepan combine sugar, flour and salt. Stir in cherry liquid and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Mixture will thicken.
  3. When mixture is thickened, add butter, almond extract, food coloring and cherries. Cover and refrigerate.
  4. Pour cooled cherry filling into pie dish. Either make a lattice or cut out cute shapes in the pastry and place on top of pie. Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, and cool before serving.



12 comments:

  1. Now that's too cute! I love the cut outs. We never make pie around here, unless it's pumpkin, but your pie looks fabulous!

    Have a great week!

    ~Misti

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! I've never seen cherry cut outs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, that is just beautiful. I didn't notice at first they were little cherries -- it's not you -- it's my bad monitor (long story) - -but at any rate, what a great idea!

    And I'm with you -- storebought all the way -- at least when, you know, you're making 48 QUICHES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia, Those are the cutest things! I have to see if I can find them on ebay! Gota have some! Hope you are having a great week! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherry pie is one of my favorites. Actually any fruit, not custard or berry.
    I buy crust now. I do not tell my children, especially one son-in-law who thinks (still) I make the best pie crust. Why ruin a good thing? Lately, I have taken to making my quiche without crust. A few calories saved here and there, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds divine! I love cherry pie, especially with vanilla icecream. I am so inadequate in the kitchen it is embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM-MY!!!!! I absolutely LOVE those crust cut-outs. They are cute!!!

    I'll definitely try your pie...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll bet the bit of almond flavor is exquisite with the cherries! The pies are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I thought my making 16 quiche for church was an undertaking! I also used store bought pie crusts and was very pleased with them as well. Your cherry pie looks DELICIOUS but more importantly Beautiful!!!! Love the kit you were able to purchase! Great bargain! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a fan of cherry pie, but that thing is absolutely gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia