Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Baking: A Goofy Birthday Cake


My son's 23rd birthday was last Tuesday. And don't ask me why but he loves Goofy. I think he has watched the goofy movie a hundred times.

I bought a Goofy cake pan and made his favorite chocolate cake.


Next I colored Wilton Buttercream Icing. Nothing more attractive than black icing.



Filled my piping bags and my daughter and I made stars all over the cake.



And we ended up with this cake!!! I hope he liked it.



I hope he outgrows this Goofy stage but as I speak my son and daughter are on a trip to Disney World.


Barbara's Cake

I think it got it's name from my mother's friend. This cake was the first thing I ever baked.


2 c. flour

1 t. baking powder

2 t. baking soda

¾ c. cocoa

½ c. vegetable oil

2 c. sugar

1 c. hot coffee

2 eggs

1 c. milk

1 t. vanilla

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes


Combine the first four ingredients and set aside. Mix vegetable oil and sugar together. Add hot coffee and mix thoroughly. Allow to cool a little to add eggs, milk and vanilla. Next, stir in the dry ingredients until just mixed.

This cake is a very dense, rich cake.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds delish, except for the coffee part. I don't like coffee. Can you taste it in there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I LOVE The Goofy Movie!!! :)

    The cake turned out adorable -- and I love me some Wilton Buttercream!!! :)

    And that recipe sounds to-die-for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's neat that he likes Goofy. It's also very neat that your son and daughter go together to do things.

    The cake sounds delish! Similar to our Red Earth Cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara's Cake!! That was the name of the friend that gave mom the recipe.
    Tracey - to answer your question - no you can't taste the coffee. My 7 yr old daughter is aghast that I put coffee in there but after she tasted it she realized it was good. Adding coffee to something with chocolate brings out the chocolate flavor and enhances it!
    Its even better with PEANUT BUTTER icing - which is how we always eat it!! Always have as far as I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great mom you are!!! That cake looks so good! Please wish your son a Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your son!
    What a wonderful job you did on the cake!!
    Hope they have fun at Disney World :)
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cynthia,
    I'm Amy from The Word from the Herd, I'm also known as Herd Momma. I came over from Kim H.'s blog. I adore her and have seen you there a few times and thought I'd come over. I'll be back more and more.
    Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia