Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Sewing: A Market Basket

I am adding this post to Rhoda's party. She is a fantastic Southern lady who has excellent taste and loves to yard sale.



I found this fabulous market basket at a Church yard sale, by the way, my new favorite past time. I have always wanted a market basket to go to flea markets, farmer markets, yard sales and dragging papers to classes I am teaching.


So, I used this basket as my inspiration.


At $8, this basket was a great find but I was a little afraid I might look like an old lady with this basket. I thought about painting it but thought it might not look as good. So after a quick trip to the fabric store, some flowers will jazz this basket up.



How fabulous is this fabric? Would you believe the fabric is outdoor canvas? I have to tell you, these manufacturers have really stepped up their game with the outdoor canvases. No longer is it strictly striped duck cloth. And bonus it was 50 percent off!!!



So I decided to sew a huge basket liner. Isn't it cute? Remember these colors are also my office colors.


A side view:



I even sewed a pocket in the inner liner for my wallet or cell phone.



Total cost: $8 for basket plus $32 for fabric. Three hours to sew. I love it and do not think anyone will think I am an old lady with the new lined market basket.

25 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!!!!!!
    I MUST FIND A BASKET LIKE THAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, trust me...you will look young and chic with your basket!! :) I used to use a basket just like that when we lived in Germany!! I loved it and used it all the time. Now you've got me wondering if everybody thought I was a little old lady! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cynthia, Believe you will start a new trend around town! All us gals will be looking hi and low for a shopping basket now... :)
    That goofy cake is adorable! Hope your son loved it! Happy Birthday to him! Now I am off to read about that 7 layer salad...YUMMMMMMMY Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great shopping cart!!!you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your basket all dressed up!!! I wish I could find a basket too! :o)
    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the basket, now I want a liner. You should consider making them for sale. I think lots of flea market and neighborhood garage sale folks would want one.

    Renee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, when you told me about this I was a little leary about just what this 'market basket' would look like. This is so CUTE!!! Nice job!!! If you find another one I'd like one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cynthia that is awesome! I love the fabric you picked.

    You should know that I tried to buy that basket on the cover of Romantic Homes and it wasn't available any more. Now aren't you doubly glad that you found yours?

    Did you ever show us your office all finished?

    ReplyDelete
  9. SHUTTTT UPPPPPP!!!!

    When I first saw that I was thinking "oh no she isn't going out to yard sale with that thing!" and VIOLA -- look what you made! UNBELIEVABLE!!!

    You are so amazing!
    Thinkin' of you all day...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's adorable!

    Honestly, when I saw the first picture, I thought "uh oh! Crazy old lady market basket alert!" But you made it beautiful!

    I want one!!!!

    Kimba

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it!!! I actually remember my mother had one of these and used it every week when she went grocery shopping. My sister and i would either sit inside it and hang on the outside while walking to the grocery store and then both of us would hang on the front as my mother pushed us and the cart full of groceries home! What memories!! I love how you changed it and made it so beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kim H. sent me over to see you. Glad she did. Love the market basket. I am sure you will not look like a little old lady. In fact I am sure some young ladies as well as at least one little old lady wish they had one. I think this Little Old Lady will start looking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is the cutest thing ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the fabric. Can you tell me who the manufacturer is ? ooxx`jodi

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have your inspiration basket on my front porch...I love your basket. You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha ha - Crazy old lady market basket (Kimba's comment cracked me up). I had faith in you all along, even if some of those others didn't have a clue. I just know how cute you make things and this is UNBELIEVABLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE your basket....now I need to sew a liner for mine so it will look as chic as yours! :)
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is absolutely way too cute! You are very clever and it looks very up-scale! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Cynthia, I'm so glad you stopped by the party today. And I love your basket all fancied up with the new fabric. You are a great seamstress, wish I could whip something up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. very cute, I bet everybody will want one like that now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG! That liner for the basket is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia