Thursday, June 11, 2009

Baking: Wedding Cookies



In preparation for my niece's wedding brunch, I decided to make some pretty wedding cookies for favors.

First, START WITH DIET COKE!!!

Okay, I feel better.

I have a cute wedding cake cookie cutter and made these cookies. Coming out of the oven.




Cool



Outline with the thicker royal icing. On a side note, do not worry about the little crack. It will be covered with the flooding icing.



I use ziploc bags and no tips. I know, lazy but I can throw everything away and have very little clean up.


Okay, all outlined.


Flood the cookies and decorate with the stiffer Royal icing.



Added some dragees.



Use a tweezer, trust me!!!



Decorated Cookies:






I hope you enjoyed the pictures of the cookies. I promise to show how to make these cookies as we get ready for the fourth of July.


Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup shortening or butter*
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Early in the day or the day before:
In a large bowl cream the shortening and the sugar. Add the eggs, extract, and milk. In a medium bowl mix the dry ingredients with a wire whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl. Mix with mixer until well combined. With hands, shape dough into a ball. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Roll** half or 1/3 dough at a time, keep the rest refrigerated. For crisp cookies, roll dough, paper thin. For softer cookies, roll 1/8 " to 1/4" thick.


Wilton Royal Icing- Thicker decorative icing

3 T. Meringue powder

4 c. confectioner's sugar

6 T. warm water

Mix and beat on low for 3 to 5 minutes, with a stand mixer. 5 to 7 minutes on high with a hand held mixer.

If you want flooding icing, double the amount of water and mix as above. The flooding icing should look like heavy cream.


6 comments:

  1. What a cute idea! They look yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! How do you store them without them spoiling?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me! You just never take a break, do you? I'm giving a wedding shower soon and would love to make those cookies. Afraid mine would look like blobs though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feedsack FantasyJune 11, 2009 at 3:04 PM

    Yum! When's the wedding? TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those dragees are so lovely, wherever did you get them? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are gorgeous, and you make it sound so easy. How did you learn to do this? Did you take a class? I love to bake but have never even heard of flooding icing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia