Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cooking: A Low Country Boil


We were invited to a birthday party for this guy. He was turning three.

The invitation said, Low Country Boil. I thought what an interesting idea. This menu may be my new favorite way to entertain.

First, it is very easy to prepare. Second, it looks fantastic on the table. Third, clean up is easy. Fourth, no utensils except something to crack the crab legs.

They also had hot dogs, hamburgers and chips. But who needed it!!!


The lovely hostess handing out pina coladas... Yum

The chef

I made my hamburger cupcakes for this party but I wasn't done. I also made some sugar cookie french fries. I simply took refrigerator sugar cookie dough, rolled it out and cut into fries. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.



Sprinkle with sugar.

Don't they look like fries.


Low Country Boil

4 pounds small red potatoes

5 quarts water

1 (3-ounce) bag of crab boil seasoning

4 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning

2 pounds kielbasa or hot smoked link sausage, cut into 1½-inch pieces

6 ears of corn, halved

4 pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined optional

4 pounds crab legs

Cocktail sauce

Add potatoes to large pot, then add 5 quarts water and seasonings. Cover pot and heat to a rolling boil; cook 5 minutes. Add sausage and corn, and return to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Add shrimp and crab legs to stockpot; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Drain. Serve with cocktail sauce. Serves 12.

4 comments:

  1. Oh girl-Low country boil is so good, and so much fun! No snobby people allowed at those. LOL! I am LOVING your sugar cookie fries. My youngest son loves sugar cookies, and he loves crazy, fun ideas so we will most definitely be doing this. I even have the red baskets. I use them as often as I can when feeding the boys. Somehow, they eat more when it's served in those awesome red baskets!

    ~Misti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great party idea! Thanks for the recipe. I love it....it's so "summer"...and easy (it seems).

    I love the fries. I can't believe they look so real. I love the red baskets. I need to check out the dollar store!

    Looks like you guys had a fun time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, it reminds me of an old fashioned New England Clam/Crab/Lobster boil. Don't they do those a lot out on the beaches?

    My friend Jodi's Dad does a huge Crab boil up in Cleveland every year -- he has these huge pots and he cooks all the food outside in the garage -- and then, like your friend, serves it all on newspaper. So kitchey!

    And the fries -- ADORABLE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the french fries!!
    My aunt makes a Lowcountry Boil like this...it is delish!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia