Friday, June 26, 2009

Gardening: Blueberry and Blackberry picking

In the South, it is time to pick blueberries and blackberries. So we loaded up the bug spray, camera, lunch, a portable stool, and water then headed out to the most wonderful farm. On this small farm they grow peaches, apples, grapes, strawberries, blackberries and blueberries.


Standing in the blueberries, you can see the view of the goats and grapes.




Look at the gorgeous view. This is why I love East Tennessee. The views, the climate, the soil and the change of seasons.



We are going to pick this row of blueberry bushes clean, wish us luck.



Look at these gorgeous berries.


The bushes were full of berries.



We picked and picked and picked. My daughter was determined to pick every ripe berry, even those at the top of the bush.




Here is some of our bounty.



On the way to the blackberries, we stopped to visit the goats. They believed we had some goodies, so they came running.



And this little guy stayed close to us, hopeful, we would give him some of our lunch.




We found the grapes almost ready for harvest.



Next we headed to the blackberry rows.



The blackberries were absolutely gorgeous and ginormous.


The multitude of blackberries covered the bushes.


Flowers for new blackberries.


Part of our blackberry bounty.



Okay, don't eat the blackberries.




We are going to bake, make jam and freeze the berries, stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. What a fun day! The setting there looks like something out of a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shanna cracks.me.up! :)

    Okay, I agree with Stacy -- beautiful scenery -- and those berries -- OH MY WORD!!!

    I actually went to the farm website I was telling you about -- but decided because of the heat, I just couldn't subject myself to that -- not that i can't deal with the heat -- the kids would be miserable. I briefly thought about still taking them and leaving them sit in an air conditioned car. But that would completely defeat the point.

    Oh kids from suburbia...what are you to do with them?.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Your pics are beautiful...HOME SWEET HOME! No place like TN! Thanks for taking us with you! Why didn't you call me... ;) I would have went too!
    Can't wait to see all the delish things you make out of your loot..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I LOVE blueberry picking!!! Ours here won't be ready for several more weeks, but when they are....I'm goin!!!!Love the goats too, how cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous...There are not that many possibilities for fresh farm-pickin' around here. I'm envious! Thanks for sharing. They look WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just went blackberry picking with my children. We had so much fun! Thanks for sharing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia