Friday, June 19, 2009

Gardening: Pruning a Wisteria

Landscaping is very affordable if you are willing to wait. I bought this wisteria plant for $24.99 at Home Depot two years ago. It was 1 ft tall. The pergola is 28 feet long, 10 feet tall and 14 feet wide. It is hot in the summer but I knew that if I waited long enough, the wisteria would provide the beautiful shade we needed.



However, during the growing season, the new growth on the wisteria likes to get all twisted and growing in the wrong direction.




So three times this year, I will have to ask ( read bribe) one of my lovely children to climb up on the pergola and set this wisteria straight.


She is so brave. I am holding the ladder, you just cannot see it.


My daughter also pruned some of the new growth where it does not need to grow.


Hey look here!!!!

Smile, you are doing a great job.

Now I just need it to grow another 3 feet and we will have the entire first table covered.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Cynthia, It already looks so good...and I know it will be worth they wait and really won't take long to cover the whole area! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bribe!!!! Bribe!!!! BRIBE!!!! What!?!? You know I read your blogs... and you write bribe!!!! I got nothing out of that job but lots of bug bites and a "Thank you Shanna, it looks great!"

    Note to self.... Cynthia bribes her children....

    -Shanna, Cynthia's daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning,
    Your wisteria looks beautiful! You have done a nice job! :o)

    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! It has grown more than I thought they grow ... that is awesome. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is craziness!!! I actually think we have a wisteria growing along the back of the fence here -- I need to figure out how to do something with it -- at least to get it growing upwards...

    Does yours bloom?....

    And I loved Shanna's comment! She is too much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't believe how big it's gotten! Looks great! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia