Friday, August 21, 2009

My Next Project

During our back yard renovation, another neglected casualty was my little greenhouse. I adore this little house because of the story behind how I acquired it. My neighbor owned this house and it sat looking dilapidated (sort of how it looks now) however, I mentioned to the kids how cute the greenhouse was every time I drove by her.


Well for Mother's Day ten years ago, my daughter, 14, at the time, went down to the neighbor and offered to purchase it. She mentioned how much I loved the greenhouse and she and her brother wanted to purchase it for me as a Mother's Day gift. They sold it to her for $100. Yes, that's right but then again, who could turn down a face like this...




(A sidenote: One of my favorite pictures of the kids and my dogs... circa 1998 and sadly three of the dogs have passed on. )

Anyway back to the story. So they surprised me on Mother's Day with the knowledge that I was the proud owner of the greenhouse. Carefully, we removed all the glass, which shattered when we touched it.

Four of us lifted the aluminum house, devoid of glass, and carried it to the new home my husband created. We painted it and reglazed it with new glass. It worked to start new seeds but the house needed a heater.

Fast forward to today: my plan is to completely remove the interior and glass. Repaint and replace the glass. I purchased a heater for the green house. I also have been looking for new shelves.

I am waiting for the weather to get cooler so we can get started.




Here she is in her former glory.


8 comments:

  1. We would love to have a greenhouse! If you are into gardening, you really need one. Otherwise, you have to purchase and purchase and purchase. Which is what we do every year. I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, that is the sweetest story EVER!!! No wonder you're so attached to the old girl!

    And that picture of ALL your kids is just lovely.

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, what a fun project. And what a precious gift from your kiddos.

    Can't wait to see the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a fantastic green house! We are waiting for cooler weather to do a number of things as well. :o)
    Happy Friday!
    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne
    Ps. Love the picture of your children and dogs! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, love that greenhouse. We have 2 and ... I should peek into them and see what's going on! We def. use in the spring time. Kitchen in YOUR garage would be a blast. Oh, and your dtr (I know it's '98) looks just like you! Right? Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I would love to have a greenhouse. I have 2 huge ferns this year and I'm not sure where I'm going to put them. It sure is a great looking one. :) Dina

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a thoughtful daughter!
    Love the picture of your kids and dogs :)
    I can't wait to see the greenhouse transformation....its altrady so CUTE!!
    Have a great weekend :)
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have wanted a little greenhouse like that for years! There's a house near here that has a lovely white one (but I think they still use it!).

    *Sigh* maybe I'll find one, one day!

    Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia