Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Baking: Cinnamon Rolls A Tutorial

These rolls are the best cinnamon rolls that I have ever eaten or made. But we never walked through how we made them.




First dissolve two packets of yeast in warm water. Do not be intimidated by yeast… A spoonful of sugar will help the yeast start to bloom. Absolutely foolproof!!!




Yeast with sugar and water looks like this after 10 minutes. Frothy!!


Next mix the evaporated milk, melted butter, sugar, salt and flour. I knead the dough for 10 minutes with a dough hook on the mixer.





Turn the dough onto floured surface and knead vigorously by hand or use a dough hook, until smooth and elastic.




Slap the dough on a counter or table surface several times to remove air bubbles.





Place in a large greased bowl, grease the top, and place in a warm (not hot!) oven for an hour.




Until doubled in size. Since you have proofed the yeast.... it will double.




On floured surface, roll out dough in the shape of a rectangle.




Spread liberally with butter (it does not have to be melted).



Sprinkle with lots of cinnamon-sugar mix and a little brown sugar. The brown sugar really gives the rolls a nice crusty taste.




Roll up and slice into 1 1/2" inch slices.



Heat oven to 400 degrees F and then down to 350 degrees F and bake for 15 - 20 minutes.


When rolls are done, frost immediately with cream cheese frosting.


Yum!! Fall is coming and warm cinnamon rolls would hit the spot. You could bake them to almost done and then freeze them. When you want to use them, defrost and finish off in oven.



Cinnamon Rolls

Ingredients:
· 2 packages yeast
· 1 teaspoon sugar
· 1 cup warm (not hot) water
· 1 can evaporated milk at room temperature
· 2/3 cup melted butter
· 3/4 cup sugar
· 4 teaspoons salt
· 6 - 8 cups flour
· butter
· cinnamon-sugar mix
· brown sugar
· ---


· Cream Cheese Frosting:

· 1 box powdered sugar
· evaporated milk
· 1/2 cup butter, melted
· 1- 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened

8 comments:

  1. You made my mouth water!! I need something sweet definitely for breakfast! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, you made these look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am slobbering on the keyboard. I don't know if I could wait an hour for the yeast to rise... ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. those look seriously delicious! I've never made a good batch of cinnamon rolls, but I might have to give it another try with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, I fear mine would never make it to the freezer!

    Do you have any left? Cause I'm jumping in my car if you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You need to post these on the Celebrating the Holidays. I know you can eat cinnamon rolls any time of year but I think they are one of those things that sound really good when the weather gets cold. Maybe it is the smell of cinnamon.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying to eat a little healthier...whole grains, fruit, fiber, etc. Then I had to see these...they look soooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia