Saturday, September 26, 2009

Confession: Why I love Old English Sheepdogs

Old English Sheepdogs have always had my heart.

Ever since I saw one in the Shaggy D.A.




Serpico

Please don't eat the daisies... Actually, anything Doris Day did or wore, I wanted to do and wear. And she was married to David Niven, ah be still my heart. An Old English sheepdog in the movie


and the TV show!!


One of my favorite cartoons.


Chitty Chitty Bang Bang


The Little Mermaid!


But as beautiful as those dogs were in movies and TV shows. I was unprepared for how much character these dogs have....

My first Old English Sheepdog.. He was quite the character. If I cried, he would bark at my husband. Obviously, it was my husband's fault.


They let me dress them for work at Burger King! Dickens was a fabulous dog and is greatly missed.


They let me put hair bows in their hair... even though they have all been boys. Churchill as a puppy.


They always let the kids, lay on them as pillows.


They loved the snow!



And let me dress them in Halloween costumes.



Sat for Christmas pictures.


Found my slippers even as puppies.


Played soccer.


Watched me bake!


And fought like little Samari's




All in all, we have had six Old English Sheepdogs in 23 years. They have all been loyal, loving and faithful companions. Each one has followed me all over the house, yard and on errands. In fact I do not remember a time when I have not had a sheepdog by my feet, when folding laundry, typing on the computer or making dinner.

They have always eaten the same dinner without complaining, loved me even when I grumpy and think I am right even though I may not be.

If I am lucky, I will have six more!!!



Sorry honey. Don't mind him, he is not a dog person.


9 comments:

  1. I love this post Cynthia! I only had one sheepdog as a teenager but I still love them! Yours were and are wonderful!!! As an adult, I've always had german shepherds that aren't quite so needy in the grooming dept. LOL! We don't have many old english in our area, I think the closest breeders that I know of are about 70 miles north. Even at the vet. clinic we only have 2 or 3 as patients and we are a BIG clinic/hospital. Love seeing pics of yours, they are so beautiful and well cared for!!! Enjoy your weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pics of the dogs on your blog! I lost my old english sheepdog that owned me for 13 years last winter and it just hasn't been the same without her. They are a very special breed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never even known anyone with English Sheepdogs but sure enjoy yours! I've told you that even my boys love to come look at pictures of them. You can see the character and happiness in their faces. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I LOVE Doris Day too...love all her movies, and that she is an animal lover/advocate! I have never been around any Old English Sheepdogs, but yours are so cute and well loved I can tell!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, this is an awesome love story!!
    I've never known anyone who has had these dogs, nor have I ever actually met one in real life, but I love your dogs!! Super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your puppies. I am this way about labs.
    Please Don't Eat the Daisies is one of my all time favs. David Niven's rant about kids going to school crackers me up!
    Thank you for sharing your babies with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, Cynthia -- what the heck? How am I this behind on your posting?....Okay, don't answer that -- life just happened!

    As for your OES -- they bring a smile to my face every post you feature them in. :)

    You're the best dog owner EVER! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have two wonderful OES! In fact that's how I found your blog: I typed old english sheepdogs in the google blog search field.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Old English Sheepdogs. After growing up with the original shaggy dog movies, they were the only dog for me. I come from a labrador family and am considered the black sheep of the family--I'm on OES #3 and 4. I adore them and find them quite addictive!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia