Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Cooking: Pot Roast

I love to make pot roast on the old fashioned way. The process of slow roasting a meat is a soothing experience, like sipping tea by the fireplace... in the winter.




First, take a big Dutch oven and add several tablespoons of oil in the bottom. Season the roast with salt and pepper, Brown the roast on all sides and remove.



Add 1 c. of red wine and 1 c. of beef stock. Heat thoroughly. Add the beef and new potatoes.



Roast at 225 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.




Add Carrots and roast for another hour.



This dish is so yummy, much better than a crock pot, if you have the time. The meat just melts off the bone.

12 comments:

  1. Yum! One of my favorites. I always end up doing something in the crock pot instead of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! On of my favorite comfort foods! :)Dina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! That's very similar to the way I do it only I like to cook it longer. I have a big pot of soup already cooking made with a cut up rump roast. It will smell wonderful all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorites. I make mine very similar to yours, only leave the wine out! I have one in the freezer, I think I'll make one Saturday. My kids love it as much as I do! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH MY Goodness....that looks so delish!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Cynthia! Thanks for stopping by. Oh my, that roast looks fantastic. Nothing like roast cooking for a cozy home.

    Hope you find a spot to use that wallpaper & I hope to see you at Blissdom next year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE pot roast. It's one of my favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy!! Looks wonderful. I have something for you please stop by and pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks delish! I love pot roast. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your roast looks terrific. Come share your slow cooker recipes at Crock Pot Wednesday. I would love to see you there. diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, even those potatoes look delish! You can tell that roast is so happy in that wine -- and btw, I love your dutch oven...which makes me wonder....why is it called a dutch oven anyway?....

    Tuesday HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia