Friday, September 11, 2009

Gardening: A Fall Plan for the Spring

Last week I posted a way to find savings in your flowers. Today, I want to discuss how a careful gardening or flowering plan can save you hundreds of dollars, hours of labor and bring about spring and summer flowers in full bloom.

1. Let’s talk about a plan. I found this beautiful garden in the August 2009 Country Living Magazine.

Pamela Page, featured in the August 2009 Country Living, has a lush garden full of flowers and vegetables.




But more importantly she has a very detailed plan of what she wanted to plant.


2. Get books designed specifically for your area and has garden or flower bed plans laid out for shade or sun.

3. If you cannot get a plan, most garden centers can refer you to a landscape architect that can draw up a plan. We have a local University that I could ask a student to draw it up. Believe me, you will save more in having a well-defined plan than the cost of the landscape architect.

4. In addition, there are several free websites that will help you plan a garden or flower beds.

5. Divide your plan up into what you can accomplish in one year. I guarantee you that Pamela’s plan was not completed in one year.

My garden in 2008.

Started in April 2008



Planted April 2008



August 2008



Here is what my garden plan was this year. We expanded it and added four more beds.




I modified it but here is what my garden looked like this year.


6. Use what you have. Like I described last week, I use the perennials and seeds already in the garden to fill in my flower beds or gardens, according to my plan.

7. Use the seed catalogues to help you design.


Johnny's Seed Catalogue

Brecks

Burpee's

Park Seeds

Let’s get ready for next spring, ladies...

16 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful garden. I have shown my husband pictures of your garden for us to get ideas from.

    Love the recipe of the previous post. I haven't made them in ages. I think I will this weekend! As a good "Italian" I always have ricotta in my refrigerator.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love people like you who can envision something a full six months ahead and then actually make it come true. Me? I can't see past October ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still getting to that post that will send your way. :)Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is lovely! My husband and I made the mistake of getting a later start on our garden, coupled with a month of no rain, needless to say, it tanked! However, not all is lost, we learned a great deal and will try again in the early spring. I will even start a few seeds indoors. :o)
    Have a great weekend.
    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've saved these pictures to inspire my husband.
    Our "garden" is more like an overgrown jungle.
    It needs help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia,
    That garden with the wooden fence around it is exactly what I have had in my mind for our raised garden area. I can't wait to show Michael these pictures so he too can have it in his mind. This garden year we had produce, but what we lacked was fun. I didn't enjoy the beauty of the garden like I have in times past because we didn't spend the time to make it beautiful. Now I am armed and ready for next year. Thanks for posting your great ideas.
    grace and peace,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, your garden reminds me of a beautiful English garden off a PBS Show! It's just gorgeous.

    My favorite bed remains the 2nd one -- the one with the big explosion of lavendar!

    As always, thanks for the inspiration and encouragement!

    Friday HUGS!!! Yea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a lovely garden! Raised beds are my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm already excited about next year's garden! Yours is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have had plans drawn initially for our front and back yards. It really does help in the long run. With a plan, you can space out the plantings as budget allows. We've also found that some suggested plants didn't work that well and we were able to move them. I love those little colored drawings, don't you? They are artwork to me.

    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok, i'm getting on board with you! i love your garden. our starts out beautiful and does well but it gets so covered in weeds it looks awful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful garden and thanks for the tips!

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pre-baby, I had a garden. It looked nothing like this! Oh how I wish it did!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your cinnamon buns are the perfect thing to bring to your fire station. What a great way to say thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your garden looks fantastic, thanks for sharing the plan, it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful job!! I love how you decided to do something...and followed through with it in every way... your hard work really paid off!!

    Well done!

    God bless-
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia