Friday, September 04, 2009

Gardening: Finding money in your flowers



If you are a gardener, fall is the most valuable time of the year. Yes, I love walking through garden centers in the spring and sometimes I get sucked into all the loveliness.

However, Fall provides the gardener with the most opportunities for next spring.

1. With careful planning, I will be able to take perennials that grew over this year, divide them and instead of one plant this year, I will have three or four plants for next spring.




2. Plants can be carefully rooted this fall for new plants next year. These two hydragenas made five new plants two years ago. Nice savings. Two $17 hydragenas.... to now 7 hydragenas. This bed also has Russian Sage that has done really well and I can divide it.





3. If I am going to start new flower beds, now is the time. September provides a warm month to get roots set for the winter. Then the plants have time to get fully settled in before next summer's heat. We are making two new rose beds. I am pulling all the roses together. Transplanting two viburnums and adding some border plants. All this work will really pay off next spring.








4. I love, love, love peonies.




These four peonies have not done well here. I am moving them and going to divide them into 12 additional bushes. Putting them in great spots in the yard.





5. I will be planting boxwood where the peonies were to give myself some structure here during the winter. Planting bushes in the fall increases the probability that the bushes will survive their new home by 100 percent.


6. The large home centers run all there "spring and summer" plants on sale during this time of year. A normal large perennial costs $9 are now on sale for $5. Again, saving my landscaping budget.


For about 5 hours of labor and approximately $100, I will save about $300 if I had bought new plants in the spring. Not only that but the weather is better in September than in May!!!

8 comments:

  1. Cynthia,
    I was wondering if I really could plant roses now. It sounds like it will be alright. I bought a beautiful rose on sale and I would really like to get some more. I was just unsure if they would be alright through the winter. Great ideas!!! Michael loved the picture of Glenn at the end of your "My kids are weird" post. Tell him Michael says "HI"!
    grace and peace,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my thinking exactly when it comes to my new flower bed in the backyard. We've been holding off any planting until the weather is cool enough here to dig and divide. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, we're constantly moving and dividing. Almost our whole yard is from a friend - didn't spend a dime:) Well, except water!
    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great hints for stretching our dollars in our garden! Vinca's re-seed themselves and every flower that has fallen off my plant, I pick up and tuck back into the pot! Amazing how fast they sprout! :o)
    Happy Friday!
    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just working on a flowering post. Can I steal, I mean highlight, a few of your tips and send everyone your way to read the post? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so smart!!!

    So, can I go to the garden center now, buy some perennials and plant them now? I was actually thinking even though we're renting, for minimal investment, I'd like to plant a few things for something pretty for next year.

    If we stay another year here, I'll enjoy that blooming season and worse case scenario, dig them up when I leave. :)

    I just wasn't sure if I should plant now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia, I love your flowers...the roses are gorgeous! Hope you have a wonderful weekend...and GO VOLS! LOL :) Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia