Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Guest Post: How to accomplish projects with little ones!

When I started this blog, I wanted to encourage women to accomplish goals that they thought were beyond what they thought they could achieve. As women, we know that we are especially hard on ourselves. We strive for perfection and are reluctant to try a project or skill because we are afraid to fail. Nothing we do is a failure. It is part of a learning curve. A learning curve that builds confidence and leads us to try more new things.

Which brings me to a fellow blogger, Kathryn. With all on her plate, she agreed to tell others how to accomplish projects with two small sweet boys.


I am so honored to be a guest over here. I stand in awe of Cynthia…for all she accomplishes. I love to pretend I am that accomplished!

But truth be told, accomplishing anything on a daily basis with a 3 and 4-yr-old under foot is a feat in itself. Sometimes a shower is the biggest accomplishment of my day!



Balancing attention to kiddos and attention to projects is always key. I do know, however, that this time is so precious…so short…and can never be re-lived. So even though I have this constant desire to create a beautiful and homey space for my family, at this stage in life, I have to remember that my kids are the MOST important on my daily to-do list.

So as far as projects go, these are the rules at our house:

(1) I keep it simple.

Truly. I have to. You never know when a project will get interrupted, knocked over or otherwise forgotten, due to more important things like reading Goodnight Moon or kissing boo-boos. It has to be something that can quickly be accomplished.

(2) I forget perfection.

Again, I have no choice in the matter. With toddlers running around, chances are…it’s just not going to be perfect. And Mom needs to maintain sanity. I’m just thankful the “distressed” look is IN.

(3) We do it frugally.

I like making my house a home just like the next person. But since my family is in the mode of paying off debt if it can’t be done inexpensively, we can’t do it right now. So we enjoy looking through other people’s junk and finding treasures to make beautiful.


So this summer, with some RED paint I got from a free Glidden promotion, I set out to add some small special red touches to our home.

I painted this frame I got from a yard sale. The frame was free and took 10 minutes to make it fit our home decor.



I made a chalkboard for our 4-year-old’s room out of a picture frame I picked up for $1 at another yard sale. Total cost $4, after I also purchased the wood for inside the frame.




I painted an old stool in our kitchen to add some color and whimsy. No cost, as the stool was given to us. I may paint something on it….or I may not. It depends on how the day is going with toddlers when I have the time.




I decided to paint the kid’s art table and chairs a darker color to help hide the crayon and marker lines that were on top. Again, no cost. The table and chairs were someone else’s “junk” they gave us.


Before:


After:





So, daily as I take on new projects, I remember that instilling character, integrity and faith in my kids is the most important accomplishment of each day. And I strive for the beauty of simplicity in all other projects.

Thank you, Cynthia, for the honor of being a guest speaker. Your blog blesses me daily! I will continue to be inspired by you.

Kathryn, thank you for sharing the lessons of a busy mom making her home pretty, one project at a time. And thank you for sharing your two cute boys!!!

9 comments:

  1. So sweet! I love when others guest blog. It was nice meeting this other accomplished blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What adorable boys and neat projects! I love your touches of red.

    When my boys were that little I used to stay up half the night to do my projects. A mom just does what it takes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the red!!! that is amazing that you can get all that done with cute little boys running around you! thank you for the adorable post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stopping by from SITS to say HI. The title of you blog intrigued me. I decided to follow too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paint is a wonderful thing! Especially red paint :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. great ideas here!

    just stopping by from SITS to say hi; hope you'll do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from Full Life, Simple Heart :) That was great advice that Kathyrn gave. I have 2 toddlers of my own...3 yrs. and 1 and 1/2 years old. I totally agree with this post :) I also love your blog and am adding it to my blogroll. Stop by sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say Kathryn's quite The Accomplished Woman -- she's got her priorities straight and when that happens all the rest falls in to place!

    Kathryn, what sweet little boy faces, wonderful projects -- and I'm so impressed, done so frugally and the reminder that even baby steps (with interruptions! :)can still lead to big accomplishments.

    Cynthia, thanks for being a continued inspiration to those of us still raising our babies and sharing your beautiful gift of friendship and talent through this wonderful world of blogging! :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please, can you PM me and tell me few more thinks about this, I am really fan of your blog...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia