Thursday, October 01, 2009

Baking: Homemade Granola



As the fall rolls in, breakfast becomes a very important meal for everyone. Sure, summer we can wake up lazily and stroll to the kitchen to get a slice of toast. But cooler temperatures calls for a more substantial breakfast. I am not an oatmeal person, no way, no how.

So granola is a wonderful alternative to oatmeal. Either sprinkled on top of some yogurt or topped with some fruit and low skim milk, granola gives you a wonderful start to your day. I love to make homemade granola because it is very inexpensive to make and you know that it is completely natural without any preservatives.


Toss the oats and almonds together in a large bowl.

Whisk together the oil and honey in a small bowl.


Pour the liquids over the oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the oats and nuts are coated.

Pour onto a 13 by 18 by 1-inch sheet pan. Use only one sheet pan or your granola may burn.


Bake, stirring every five to ten minutes with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even, golden brown, about 35 minutes.

Remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool, stirring occasionally.



Add the apricots, figs, cherries, cranberries, and cashews.



Store the cooled granola in an airtight container.


I am going to add some skim milk and a banana!!

You can change any of the fruits or add coconut. I am not a coconut fan but it is easy to make alternatives. Add dried blueberries or dried strawberries for a more specialized taste. This granola is easy to make wonderful granola bars. I will make them next week.



Homemade Granola


4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cups cashews
2 cups sliced almonds
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup good honey
1 1/2 cups small diced dried apricots
1 cup small diced dried figs
1 cup dried cherries
1 cup dried cranberries
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.


Yield: 12 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Difficulty: Easy


6 comments:

  1. Yum! My hubby loves granola. I might surprise him with this! Do you have any recipes for granola bars?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband loves granola too. I'll stick with my oatmeal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love homemade granola!!
    I will have to try your variation with all the wonderful fruits. It sounds delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!

    Does granola ship cause I'm in the mood for some..... :)

    Hugs from flu central!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that seems easy! And I love granola, so I'll need to make this!!! Thanks for the recipe!!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia