Tuesday, October 06, 2009
Cooking: Spring Green Risotto
Risotto is a dish that is both heavenly and intimidating. The dish is elegant enough for guests and especially your vegetarian friends. Another spectacular recipe from Ina Garten that will give you comfort and with the lemon flavoring will remind you of spring.
3 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (2 leeks)
Heat 1 1/2 T. olive oil and 1 1/2 T.butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks saute for 5 to 7 minutes, until tender.
Add 1 1/2 c. of Arborio rice or Risotto.
Stir for a minute to coat with the vegetables, oil, and butter.
Add 2/3 c. of white wine and simmer the risotto over low heat, stirring constantly, until most of the wine has been absorbed.
Add the heated chicken stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring almost constantly and waiting for the stock to be absorbed before adding more.
This process should take 25 to 30 minutes. Total chicken stock between 4 to 5 cups.
Meanwhile, cut the asparagus diagonally in 1 1/2-inch lengths and discard the tough ends and blanche. Chill right away and add to the risotto after 15 minutes of cooking and stirring in chicken stock.
Add 1 T. of lemon zest
10 oz. of Peas, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Continue cooking and adding stock, stirring almost constantly, until the rice is tender but still firm.
In a seperate bowl, whisk 1/3 c of mascarpone
with 2 T. of lemon juice
When the risotto is done, turn off the heat and stir in the mascarpone mixture
plus 1/2 c Parmesan cheese and chives.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve hot more Parmesan cheese.
A yummy entree or a lovely side dish your family will love or guests will think you are a gourmet!!
* 1 1/2 tablespoons good olive oil
* 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 3 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (2 leeks)
* 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
* 2/3 cup dry white wine
* 4 to 5 cups simmering chicken stock
* 1 pound thin asparagus, blanched
* 10 ounces frozen peas, defrosted,
* 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
* 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese
* 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving
* 3 tablespoons minced fresh chives, plus extra for serving