Friday, October 16, 2009

Organization: Christmas Planning


It is exactly ten weeks until Christmas!


Now in the lovely fall air is the time to start thinking about Christmas.

What do you want to accomplish for your family Christmas? An open house? A Christmas eve party? Christmas cards with the children in matching outfits? Homemade ornaments? Homemade gifts? What cookies are you going to bake? Who are you going to visit during the holidays? Vacation plans? How is the house going to be decorated?

Most importantly, we do not want to rush into Christmas without a game plan. I want to enjoy the season. Starting early will allow me to plan ahead!!!


Christmas Challenge #1



Draw up a list of what you need to accomplish during the holiday. You do not have to include everything on the list but the important thing is to start putting it down on paper.

Here is my list:

1. Christmas cards with the kids and dogs pictures

My friend, Mary, sends her cards out a day or two before Thanksgiving and I always get her card the day after Thanksgiving.


You can laugh, but Miss Mary, it is on like Donkey Kong…. I am sending my cards out the day before Thanksgiving.







Here is my Christmas picture from last year. We need a new one so I will be lining everyone up soon. I am thinking about what to put on the kids and the dogs.






2. Christmas Eve open house from 7 to 10 p.m. ( Menu, guest list and invitations)



3. Christmas vacation during the holiday week with family (Itinerary , tickets and accommodations)



4. Decorate the house



5. New lighting plan for the house (Game Plan)



(Better Homes and Garden)

6. Presents for friends and family (Excel spreadsheet with the lists of who, what, and where)




7. Gift baskets like last year for older friends ( Items for gift basket, baskets and who)


8. Holiday guests for the week before Christmas (Extra linens, menus)


9. Christmas day menu



10. Charity participation (What do the kids want to participate in?)


11. Christmas Events: Nutcracker (Dates and tickets), parade and Festival of trees


12. Gingerbread house ( Need to design the model, candies purchased and put together)

This one is from a couple of years ago... and I love it. We will probably make it again this year.




12. Baking - (pull recipes and start baking)


Christmas Challenge #2

Decide a budget!!

Christmas Challenge #3

1. Is you list doable?


2. BE REALISTIC, the goal is to enjoy the holiday with your friends and family. And to achieve the bigger picture you want for the holiday season. You cannot hand knit sweaters for every member of your family starting today.

Christmas Challenge #4


1. Find a calendar, notebook or computer program that will help you get organized. It doesn’t matter if it is a yellow legal pad. Whatever will help you put dates down and remember them.

2. Dig out a Christmas ornament, picture, or magazine. Something fun!

3. Tape that reminder in a conspicuous place where you will see it every day!!!


Get ready for next week…. We are going to put pen to paper and map out a calendar strategy.

3 comments:

  1. Seriously, an Excel spreadsheet? You rule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I can't believe it's that time already! You've got me thinkin' that I need to get to plannin'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK girl, I backed up and found this post. I was out of town when you did this last week. You are very inspiring you know. I'm going to get to work immediately. :)

    I saw that you are going to start baking now. Are you freezing. Share your tips about that please.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia