Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Sewing: Euro Shams


I love pillows on a bed. Sad for my husband because pillows perform no function what so ever except they look pretty. No utilitarian function. Absolutely none.

That being said, I needed to make Euro Shams for my bedroom transformation. If you have never made a pillow sham, let me tell you it is easy.

First, a Euro pillow is a 28 inch square pillow. So first you cut two 30 by 30 inch squares. Two because we have two pillows.

Cut four pieces, 28 inch by 16 inch. The two pieces will allow an opening in the back to slip the pillow in the overlapped pieces. Finish one side of each piece by pressing and sewing a hem.


Next, I wanted to have a ruffle around the edge, so I cut 8 strips 54 inch long and 8 inches wide.


Sew four of the pieces together.

Press open the sewn edges.


Fold in half and press.


Ready to sew


Widen the stitch length on your machine.

Sew one long stitch along the raw edge of the ruffle.



VERY CAREFULLY, pull the back stitching of the ruffle and gather the ruffle.



Pin the ruffle along the edge of the 30 by 30 inch piece of fabric.


Fold the edges of the ruffle to conceal raw edges and pin.

Sew the ruffle to the edge of the pillow front.



Pin the right side of the front pillow to the right side of both back pieces.



Making sure to overlap the two back pieces.



Sew to the left side of the initial seam.

Using a serger


Create a finished edge.



Turn right side out and press.



Stuff pillow through the opening.




I added some snaps on the back opening to secure it.

Now they look very custom and fabulous on the bed, if I do say so myself.

7 comments:

  1. I ♥ pillows, but unfortunately, I am severely allergic to dust mites, so I had to get rid of mine :0( Yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty...great instructions

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure make it sound easy. I love your choice of fabrics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great instructions! If only I could sew!! They look beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, the pillows do look beautiful!
    Have a great weekend!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia