Unlike Sun Tzu, I am not so wise or have such a deep topic as the Art of War. I would like to take this opportunity to develop my dissertation on the Art of Playing Hookey.
My inspiration is Bueller, Ferris Bueller.
According to the Urban Dictionary: Playing Hookey is “A day in which liberty is taken upon oneself to exclude themself from school or work obligations while, most likely, pretending to be sick or having a death in the family. Usually this time is spent with a significant other, sports activity (i.e. golf or playstation), or just plain sitting on ones ass all day editing & writing definintions for modern slang words over the internet. “
- I think every hard working person should play hookey at least 6 times a year. Yes, once every two months.
- Plan something completely fun. I am not a big shopping fan but hey, what ever you want to do that gives you joy, do it. Last Thursday, I spent the day taking pictures, lunching with friends, a movie and dinner with other friends. I did not work on the computer, think about work, grade a paper, think about housework, do housework, rake a leave, pull a weed or wash a load of laundry.
- Do not wear a watch, look at the time or plan anything that you have to meet someone at a particular time. The exception to this rule is if you are meeting friends for dinner with alcohol involved.
- Act a little irresponsible. Buy something frivolous or do something that makes you feel like a kid.
- Refuse to feel guilty. I am a productive person that does not like to goof off. If I am not doing something then I usually feel guilty.
- Do not think about work, projects, housework, and do not get on the computer. You will violate the cardinal rule of playing hookey.
- THE CARDINAL RULE OF HOOKEY: STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES. LIFE IS SHORT.
Here is what I did when I played Hookey:
Okay, we did do a very little shopping:
Okay, and maybe a little more shopping
But then we saw an upside down house:
Had a camel ride…. just kidding
Saw the Titantic
No Seriously….. they are building the Titantic
Thought about visiting a winery
Good thing because shortly after, we saw this…..
And a tiger on the rooftop….
Saw some newlyweds:
And Tacky t –shirt stores:
And some Hillbilly Golf
But we went through a tunnel:
and on the other side was the Beautiful Smokey Mountains:
Crossed a bridge:
Sat on the riverbank… Daughter took this picture
Found this sign was next to the riverbank, I hope it wasn’t important…. like bear eating people sitting on the riverbank warning.
Like these bears?
Picture of daughter taking pictures of river… its like the circle of life…. Nice red vest.. Hello bears… we are here and we are fashionable.
Stared at a large Christmas tree
Ended the evening with friends and ummm Margaritas
We had a fantastic day…. laughed, sat, thought, ate good food, amazed at sites, found some good bargains and finally, rested our brains… Like a mini-vacation.