Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Cooking: Scalloped Potatoes

I adore scalloped potatoes. Why on earth anyone would use the packaged scalloped potatoes when the real ones are so easy.  They make an excellent and elegant side dish that is not very expensive, and would be wonderful for Thanksgiving.

029 copy

The ingredients: Potatoes, cream, butter, parsley, chives, Swiss cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.

003 copy

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a large casserole dish

004 copy

Slice two pounds of russet potatoes, thinly.

005 copy

Layer the bottom of the casserole dish with 1/3 of the potato slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Layer on 1/2 cup of the Swiss cheese. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan, chives and parsley

007 copy

 

Repeat by layering on 1/3 of the potato slices, sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Layer on the remaining Swiss cheese. Sprinkle with a little Parmesan, parsley and chives..

010 copy

Top the casserole with the remaining potato slices. Dot the potatoes with the remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp of butter.

011 copy

Add the half and half.

014 copy

Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for one hour.

016 copy

After an hour, remove from the oven, remove the foil, sprinkle on the remaining Swiss and Parmesan cheese. Return to the oven for an additional 30-40 minutes.

019 copy

When done, the potatoes should be tender, but not mushy, and the liquid should be mostly absorbed.

022 copy

Oh they are heavenly.

024 copy

 

Scalloped Potatoes

Ingredients

3 Tbsp butter
2 lbs (about 4 medium sized) Russet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives (optional)
2 1/2 cups grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese (about 8 ounces)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
2 1/2 cups to 3 cups of half-and-half (half milk, half cream)
Salt and pepper

Serves 8

7 comments:

  1. Morning Cynthia. You featured one of our favorite dishes today. Sometimes we chop up ham and put it in for a one dish dinner. It's just wonderful!

    I'm with you - I don't understand those box mixes At All!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look seriously tasty! I think I might make these for our thanksgiving dinner at church tomorrow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We here at the coastal nest are scalloped potatoe nuts, also. Especially with an excellent ham. Mmmmmmm.
    Have you ever tried Pioneer Womans turnip gratin? Oh my gooood neeesssssss..you better git on over there and git that recipe, you will thank me for it...I made them last year for Thanksgiving and it was the hit of the dinner, even with some of those picky eaters!
    Im hungry~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Scalloped Potatoes are the best! I just use whatever cheese I have in the fridge so they always taste different. I wish I could come to dinner at your place - what a treat that would be! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. OHMYWORD!!! I'm so making those -- and even though Leo isn't a "fan" of Swiss, I think he'll have to get over himself! :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these potatoes. I have a wonderful recipe BUT it calls for boiling the potatoes first. Yours is so much more easier!!! And you're right, why buy the box when you can make them homemade and they're so easy and delicious!! Great photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not made scalloped potatoes in so long. Thanks for the reminder of how good and easy they are. Will make them this week!! I never buy the boxed kind either. I agree with you why when it is so easy to do them yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia