Thursday, November 19, 2009

Gardening: Dividing Peonies

Sadly, my gardening post are all “ugly” dirt and bare plants. But as any gardener knows, 90 percent of gardening is mostly dirt, compost, weeding and mulching. The rewards are beautiful plants but flowers do not come without the 90 percent effort in the off season.

So here is a peony from earlier:

004 copy

Dividing plants is a secret most experienced gardeners use to make more beautiful plants in the yard with “sweat equity”.

019

I wanted to move the peonies, they were not getting enough sun where they resided so they packed their bags and I moved them to a new spot.

021

Okay, in technical terms, I dug up the crown of the peony.

022

Cut the crown into several pieces.

031

Making sure to have at least two of these point things in there; buds. These are the flowers for next year.

And nestled them into their new home for the winter.

028

Next spring, the four peony bushes will give me twelve beautiful bushes, with a little luck, sun, water and good soil.

002 copy

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cynthia

    Since I love looking at beauty and currently live in a small apartment where I have no space, time or $$$ for flowers, I love to see your posts with the explanation and pictures to understand what you are saying.

    I may not have all the knowledge to do what you did, I feel I could do it with the information you provide. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss your gardening posts as well! But spring will be here before we know it and we can all begin to learn from you again!! Love the peonies. They are so beautiful! I would love to plant some of these as well in the coming years around our house. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for showing us how to divide your peonies. They are some of my favorite flowers and currently I do not have any. However, when I do, I will reference back here to see the process of dividing. :o)
    Winter is bittersweet. Nature tucks in for the cold months ahead, and it looks a little drab. But come spring ... beauty!
    :o) Trish

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia