Thursday, November 05, 2009

Gardening: Planting a Tulip Bulb

Oh my goodness, it is bulb planting time and I am bulb planting like crazy, especially if I want my yard to look like this





I purchased 125 tulip bulbs at a time and need to get them in the ground for a fabulous show next spring.



One of my biggest pet peeves is people who plant one bulb at a time. It is nice but the better impact of bulbs is to plant a group of them together. A mass of bulbs in the spring draws the eye of the visitor.

This tool would be great for planting one bulb here, and one bulb there. And I love this tool. I use it for annuals that spread, like impatiens or wave petunias.



The best tool to plant bulbs in a fantastic show is a shovel.



I want two tulips borders in my new flower beds. They will get 5 to 6 hours of sunlight a day.




So I cleared a 1 foot wide by 10 foot long area at least 6 inches deep.



Place the bulbs evenly in this area, point side up. I do not fertilize the first year.




Cover with half the dirt you have cleared and tamp down.

Water.

I can plant 250 bulbs in less than an hour. And just wait until spring….



Courtesy of squidoo

4 comments:

  1. The promise of spring! I bought daffodils yesterday. Can't wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tulips are just my absolute favorite. Right after roses. And peonies. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh your garden will be beautiful this spring

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a GREAT idea -- and yes, lots of impact. I like the idea of planting them all in a row like that. UR AMAZING!!! :)

    HUGS!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia