Monday, November 16, 2009

Sewing: Bedroom Curtains

I am on a sewing roll to finish my bedroom. we made the designer skirted table, sent the chair to the upholsterer and purchased bedding. But I needed to make curtains to help the neighbors out.. Yes, I have sheers but seriously, they will appreciate seeing less of me.

1. Hang the curtain rod.

2. Measure the distance between the curtain rod and the floor. I am not puddling the curtains as the dogs would try to make a bed out of the bottom of the curtains.

3. Add an additional 12 inches to the previous measurement.

4. Cut four panels out of the fabric, according to the final measurement. I also wanted all four panels to match exactly and that required taking into the repeat of the pattern on the fabric.



5. Sew two of the panels together, carefully matching the patterns of the two panels.


Press seam open


6. Repeat for the other two panels and sew open the seam.
7. I am lining the fabric so I need to repeat steps four through six and press.


8. Place wrong sides of the lining and fabric panels together, lining up all edges. I match the long middle seam first and work my way to the edges.


9. Carefully fold over 1 inch of the two sides of the curtain. Fold over again another inch and press.


10. Sew the fabric. I use hand stitching but you can machine sew.
11. Fold over the top of the fabric 2 inches. Repeat and press.


12. Sew the fabric. I machine sew the top of the curtain but you can do either. I think machine sewing the top provides more strength.
13. Fold over the bottom of the curtain panel 4 inches. Fold the hem over again and press. Now I hand stitch this because I do not want to see machine stitches.
14. Clip the top of the curtains to the rings.

Here they are closed.


And pulled back.




They match the bedding. Now, I measured them to be a little short. I am going to add a ruffle edge on the bottom but the curtains need to hang a couple of days to "settle". I also want to show you better pictures of the curtains in the day time.


Aren’t they pretty?

7 comments:

  1. Great curtains! I am still looking for curtains to go in our living room/dining room re-do. Love your menu for the week as well. I hope you post pictures of your gingerbread house! I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful curtains...great job...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia, your drapes are beautiful. The fabric is just perfect. Is it silk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dahling...they're simple MAHVELOUS!!! You've outdone yourself again!

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous curtains. You did a great job.
    Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty and the fabric is lovely... love the shimmer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia