Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cooking: Pot stickers

We love Pot stickers at our favorite Chinese Restaurant but good lord… they are expensive. So for the Christmas Eve party, I thought I would test these out early and find a way to serve them for the party without making them while the guests were there. Here is how to make them… they are delicious… I mean seriously delicious… like you could eat your weight in pot stickers.

Start out with soy sauce, wonton wrappers, ground pork, garlic, an egg, I used an onion but the recipe calls for green onions, ginger, sesame oil and the funny looking Chinese cabbage.

144

    In a large bowl, combine the pork, ginger, garlic, green onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, egg and cabbage. Stir until well mixed.

    147

    A hint I learned by reading more about pot stickers but did not do at the time. After you chop up the cabbage, salt with 1 Tablespoon of salt and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then squeeze all the water out of the cabbage. The filling will be so much less watery and the pot stickers can all be made ahead of time.

    148

    I used the round wonton skins.

    150

    Place 1 heaping teaspoon of pork filling onto each wonton skin.

Moisten edges with water and fold edges over to form a triangle shape. Roll edges slightly to seal in filling.

153

Set dumplings aside on a lightly floured surface until ready to cook.

152

To Cook: Heat a pan with two tablespoons of oil. Set the pot stickers in the pan making sure not to crowd them. Saute for two minutes.

158

After two minutes, turn. Now we turned the pot stickers but again, I don’t know that this step is necessary.

After you turned, add 1/4 cup of water to the pan. Cover and allow to cook for 6 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.

159

Almost absorbed.

160

Oh my goodness… you cannot imagine how good these little suckers are!!!

154

Heavenly.

If you drain the cabbage, I think you could make them ahead of time and cook them for your party. I also think they would be good without the cabbage.


Total Cost $5.27 for 60 pot stickers!!!

Pot Stickers

Ingredients
  • 60 (3.5 inch square) wonton wrappers
  • 3/4 pounds ground pork
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons sesame oil
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 5 cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage

2 comments:

  1. You have a different method of making potstickers than me... I cook them in water and then fry the outsides! I'm going to try this and see how I like it =) I don't usually put cabbage in mine either, but that seems like a nice way to stretch out the filling a little. Thanks for sharing =D

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia