This week I wanted something to remind us of spring so I am making a grilled tuna salad... and I want to say that this week is a complete mix of different styles of food... gourmet, comfort and take out... But that is what happens the week before Christmas.
Sunday: Crock pot Beef Stew
Monday: Taco Salad
Tuesday: Chicken Tenders, Red Beans and Rice and cut - up vegetables
Wednesday: Breakfast for dinner
Friday: Ham and Pear Gruyere Panini
Saturday: Grilled Tuna Salad with Avocado
Sour dough bread
Spring Mix Lettuce
Grilled Tuna Salad ala Ina Garten
- 2 pounds very fresh tuna steak, cut 1-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black, plus extra for sprinkling
- 2 limes, zest grated
- 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 10 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 1 to 2 ripe avocados, medium diced
- 1/4 cup minced scallions, white and green parts (2 scallions)
- 1/4 cup red onion, small diced
Brush the tuna steaks with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the tuna steaks in a very hot saute pan and cook for only 1 minute on each side. Set aside on a platter.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, lime zest, wasabi, lime juice, soy sauce and hot sauce. Add the avocados to the vinaigrette.
Cut the tuna in chunks and place it in a large bowl. Add the scallions and red onion and mix well. Pour the vinaigrette mixture over the tuna and carefully mix.