Thursday, January 28, 2010

Gardening: My garden plan

 

With seven raised garden beds in close proximity to each other, it is a wise idea to rotate the beds. In addition, raised beds can be depleted of nutrients quickly. Last fall, we rototilled manure and compost into each garden bed before we tucked them in for the winter.

So here is my plan for this year… and my cabbage/broccoli bed will turn to a pumpkin squash bed when they are depleted in the beginning of June.

image

Also, I found this seed and garden planner at Clyde’s. It was only five dollars and allows you to know the seed start date, planting date and harvest date for most vegetables.

Photo of Slide Chart

 Photo Source

Simply slide the spring to the last date of frost in your zone and the dates are lined up. Flip the planner over and it will let you know all the fall planting dates.

This weekend we are cleaning out the greenhouse in preparation of seed starting!!! Broccoli and cabbage get started February 8. Also, I ordered the bare root roses and they need to be planted as soon as they arrive.

Spring is coming and while I may be laid up with my knee… the garden is going to be up and about soon!!

4 comments:

  1. Cynthia~ I have raised beds too and last year they didn't do so well, I remember adding some compost and manure in the spring....should I be adding it in the fall instead??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so well rounded it is disgusting. A good disgusting, but disgusting. Love you anyways ;0)

    Hope that knee is going to be okay quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so organized...can't wait to see your garden...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    Lucy
    http://dataentryjob-s.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia