Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Knitting: A Dog Sweater

My dogs are big!!!

IMG_2191 copy

Really big!!! But ohhh so handsome!!!

009 copy

Too big for the cute sweaters most pet stores sell but that should not prevent my dogs from looking cute in cold weather. I just got out my knitting needles and got busy.

Here is a new one I am knitting!

I knitted a tube from the bottom of my dog’s bottom… up to his arm pits, based on his chest measurements.

223

Next, I separated the amount of the sweater I needed to knit in arm holes.

225

Then I knitted both sections until I had enough of a separation for the arm holes and rejoined the knitting together.

226

Next, I started to reduce the stitches of the tube to narrow around the dog’s neck. I use a row counter to make sure both sides are the same number of rows.

229

So here he is in another sweater I knitted. You can see where I separated the sweater for the armholes.

211 

In addition, I added a v-neck to the sweater opening to allow the sweater to go over the dog’s head much easier.

219

He can play with it on!!

214

And obviously he can run with it on!!! I just love how he runs so hard his ears fly backwards.

216

And obviously, he can be hugged and loved… even squished!

220

Knitting a dog sweater is a great project for a new knitter because if you make a mistake the dog’s won’t mind…

I will finish my red sweater for his birthday and let you see!!! I am trying to plan a birthday party for him on Sunday but who knows if I can get all his friends here in time?

13 comments:

  1. handsome puppies...great sweaters...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cute!!!!! I don't think I've ever seen a sheepdog look quite so stylish, great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... I love it, we are adoptin an OES in March, would you be interested in selling your sweaters? I'd buy one, for sure!!
    Let me know... they are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia, I am just tired reading your to do list! Are you 12? You must be to have all that energy! I just stumbled over your blog and it is fabulous! Love the dogs, they must be so pleased.... how many dogs have v neck sweathers made by Mom?
    I am going back to see how to make a toille bunny.
    And I am your new follower.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second what Stacey said -- as ALWAYS, you amaze me!!! Love, love, love the great sweater on Mr. C -- handsome devil he is!

    And I love that last picture of S loving on him. :)

    Wednesday HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With all that hair do they really need sweaters? Of course they do! How adorable! You never cease to amaze me with your talents!!!

    Susan at Charm of the Carolines

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you did a great job! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How handsome he looks in his sweater (lovingly made by his mama)!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a handsome boy! You did a great job, I'll bet there is a market out there for larger-sized dog sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do they need dog sweaters? I have a little Bichon so I had to buy him clothes( http://www.lolaandrocky.com ), but yours......:)?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia