Friday, February 12, 2010

Accomplished Women: Part 4

I am a chubby middle aged woman but have never thought of myself in those terms. When I was in college, I was less chubby but still a chubby college student. My sorority sisters were all gorgeous and thin. And my roommate was home-coming queen, seriously.

You would have thought that I was suffering from a lack of self-confidence. But you would be wrong. I loved who I was and still do. My sorority sisters were all obsessed with their weight, looks, etc. They had a serious lack of confidence.

A funny thing happened when I was in college. I had tons of dates, with very good-looking guys. And those gorgeous girls sat at home. I fixed them up on dates but when they looked in the mirror, they saw all their flaws and so did their dates.

Christmas 1981

Me in the middle, circa 1980!!!

I always saw my positive qualities. A defense mechanism to a father who loved to point out all your flaws but whatever… It worked. I have never defined myself by what was wrong with me.

I dress well. I wear nice make-up. I can laugh at myself and do not care about my short-comings. Believe me, people are drawn to that type of attitude.

super-model-beauty-secrets2

I hear women say, “I will do X, Y or Z when I lose 20 pounds.” My advice is WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? You were created exactly like you are; accept it and embrace it. If you want to lose weight, do it but do not put your life on hold why you do.

You are worthy of all the praise of any super model. When you love yourself, it is easier for others to love you. My sorority sisters would sit at home crying over their dating life and I was out having fun.

Aspiration #4 You are a beautiful woman exactly as you are… You are not too fat, too thin, too lazy, sloppy, too mean, too wimpy, too kind or too much of a doormat.

Write down all the things you love about yourself and embrace them.


10 comments:

  1. You are an amazing woman. I cannot tell you how much I have suffered from a lack of self esteem and even to this day find myself hating how I look or criticizing myself for how I act.

    Thank you for making me realize that I need to accept me as the person God created me to be. I will try today to do that.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said, I love these words, Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia -- Thank you for your beautiful post. You just made my day. Hope you have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you think...it has taken me years to realize that...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE YOU! I love you for your amazing outlook, your terrific talent, and your gift for writing. I was drawn to your blog by your writing. I always leave here with I AM WOMAN! I WILL DO THIS! feeling. Go Accomplish something today.
    Big Hugs.
    Oh, I know your doc is in Haiti, do you have a return date and thus a surgery date?

    ReplyDelete
  6. (sniff. sniff. beautiful post, C!)

    I love you and the fact that you are true to who you are and what you stand for! And I adore you and think you're just amazing! Thank you for loving me and being an awesome, encouraging, inspiring friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia,
    This is such good advice and so very well said. I feel sorry for the young girls today who are so obsessed with how perfect they need to look and and terribly thin and plastic they need to be!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia