Sunday, February 14, 2010

Confession: Why I love my husband?

When I met my husband, I was graduating college and ready to pack my bag for law school, or graduate school. I was going to brush the dust of the small town I grew up in and head to the big city.

All of that changed on my first date with my husband. I had about a month before I met him made a “dream” list of what I wanted in a real man… a potential mate. Of course, I never had any idea that a man could meet all my criteria but that night sitting across me at the table was the man that was about to change my life.

We were engaged 31 days later.

Engagementa

So why do I love my husband, 26 years later?

  1. He never forgot the dreams I shared with him in those heady wonderful days when we were dating. Pushing me into graduate school, 12 years later, and he is always supportive of every decision I make to find my place in this world.
  2. He is my best friend.
  3. He has one of the weirdest sense of humor, not everyone’s cup of tea but I find him hilarious.
  4. Quietly and unselfishly he has encouraged his family to reach their dreams while keeping his feet firmly on the ground, keeping us steady.
  5. He still makes my heart skip a beat.

When I was a college Sunday School teacher, I strongly encouraged those girls to make a “dream” list for a future husband and not to settle until they find a man that fulfills that list… and was their best friend. Their chances for a happy marriage and happy life would greatly improve.

10 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post! My husband is my best friend too, sure does make life easier!

    Loving your accomplished womens posts this morning, great way to start the day!

    Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet, sweet post! Happy, happy Valentine's Day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... warms my heart!

    Susan at Charm of the Carolines

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2 and #5 almost made me cry. So sweet.

    Happy Valentine's Day!
    Come and view my note to you...
    http://theredheadriter.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-spy-valentines-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very sweet post! Hope you're getting to spend the day with your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when lovers are still in love after years of marriage. Movies and books are always focused on the 1st part - meeting - but the stories of the long-termers are way better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww!!! Hope you have a chance to make-up your Valentine's Day when hubby's in town!!!

    Love this post -- and I love that you have a photo from back when you were young in love!!! :)

    Hugs to both of you sweet Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I married my best friend.... and was part of that Sunday School class!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia