Thursday, February 11, 2010

Gardening: Flowers

I am pressed for time before my knee replacement so I have some ideas for short cuts this spring.

Lowe’s and Home Depot sell “packages” of tubers, small plants, rhizomes and bulbs. This weekend, I am planting them in the cold soil. They will settle in and this summer, I will have beautiful plants such as;

Dahlias

b84016

Peonies

10139WM

Iris

BV31318

Daylillies

b19919

Lilly of the Valley

10894WM

Asiatic Lillies

13826WM

The advantage of these packages is they are easy to plant, need a smaller hole than a full in bloom plant. They are cheaper; $4.99 vs. $9.99 for the full plant and they will have plenty of time to settle in, spread their roots before the heat of summer makes the root system more stressed.

So if the ground is not frozen, whip into Lowe’s or Home Depot and get out a shovel!!! You will be so happy that you did this summer.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think the near 5 feet of snow will let me LOL! Just so you know... there are a bunch of black Photobucket squares that say "Bandwidth exceeded." on your page. :0(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are lovely Cynthia and the bunnies & I wish you a quick and speedy recovery from surgery:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see you have the photobucket curse also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any suggestions for groundcover and plants that are very, very hearty? I have 3 dogs and the backyard is a mud pit with the snow melting and their little paws killing the grass and everything else in their way.

    Susan at Charm of the Carolines

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Cynthia, I see you have the same Photobucket host that we do. :)

    What you have to do is save those pics to another site (do you have the pics somewhere?), like your own Photobucket site and then just change out the http: url (properties) of the pics that are saved in your sidebars. That will change them from Joanna's Photobucket to yours & they will show up again.

    Hope that makes sense! I had to completely change mine out this afternoon. I'm doing a blog makeover in a month so I won't be keeping any of the old stuff then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear of your upcoming surgery, but sounds like you are making plans in advance. Don't you just love dahlias and peonies and so many more? We have gobs of snow too as does much of the country, so we are just looking through seed catalogs so far!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Comments are such a treasure. Please share your thoughts, I would love your feedback.

Cynthia